RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Companies & Worksites

Old 02-17-2012, 01:56 AM
Green Horn

justinart24 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hauling Dirt out of my basement (present day)

Quote:
Originally Posted by titandigs View Post
Hi Joe,
Your models have made news here in Australia.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/841...ent-using-toys
This news site too. Congrats.
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/02...sing-only.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Builds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

might as well jump on the train. Joe made the local provincial paper to!

http://www.leaderpost.com/life/Saska...414/story.html
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -

Last edited by Stuff; 02-17-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

RAIDERS is on a distinguished road

Congrats on all ur fame...great job..
Old 02-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

Hey Joe, you can't please them all, but you sure as heck please a lot of people here.
Thanks Rob
Old 02-17-2012, 11:55 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

you also made Technabob

http://www.news.com.au/technology/ca...-1226270731287

And the Toronto Star

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...n-year-project

and carscoop. seems they really love you there lol

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/02...-basement.html

Just dont let the spot light go to your head!! :P j/k
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
Old 02-18-2012, 03:11 AM

Michael S is on a distinguished road

You are also in Denmark, lost of newsmagasines online and a 20 sek clip in the evningnews in prime time friday
Old 02-18-2012, 08:24 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Thank you for all the praise and encouragement my friends, much appreciated & duely noted!

My phone finally went silent today, but email is still going nuts!

I think I'll go wind down in the basement tonite, I haven't been there all week!

Cheers

Joe
Old 02-18-2012, 09:03 PM

Construction is on a distinguished road

Very cool. You made a lot of the news sites and paper. Congrats!

Also, what scale are your models?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Thank you for all the praise and encouragement my friends, much appreciated & duely noted!

My phone finally went silent today, but email is still going nuts!

I think I'll go wind down in the basement tonite, I haven't been there all week!

Cheers
Withdrawl symptom's
You've officially had your "15 minute's of fame" Great to see some positive coverage
Cheer's, Neil.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:39 PM
BANNED

Tom, I don't have heat that blows directly into the basement, but being below ground level and with the diesel fueled furnance (it's right behind me where I'm digging right now), the chimney & duct work throughout give off a bit of heat to keep it maybe +15C (not quite room temp). The video I posted a month ago or so, I was wearing a lined coat b/c it was -25C outside most of that week, which made it a bit chilly down there.

Construction, the scale is 1/14th.

Neil, I shot some video last night where I nearly fell off the wall with the 850 so close to the edge, I got lost in the controls with the tracks (takes 3 switches on this DX8 to make them work), had to quickly set the tx down and grabbed the model.. a week off from running the 850 and I loose my touch.

Thank you again for the well wishes fellows.. no worries of it going to my head, I'm looking forward to getting back to my ordinary life of enjoying my hobby with you all.

I did manage to fix my cyl Monday night, although it didn't hold... I prepped the surface, cleaned with laquer thinner to get the surface oil free, used flux paste, solder for copper plumbing (Frank's recommendation for best stuff) and a good sized butane torch... the soldered just balled up & fell off. I tried the electrical solder I normally use for wiring, same problem.

I then switched to using my soldering iron and cranked the temperature to high. That worked, although kinda messy, the solder still didn't flow/liquify into the joint. The solder kinda stuck on like smearing dried up play-do.

Why did the solder ball up with the torch? Too hot, not hot enough?

After connecting cyl to model again & pressuring up, there was a slight bit of an oil film seeping.. and then it quit.

After 3 batt packs yesterday & today, it let go again and now the cyl is back on my workbench for round two.

(I really hate doing things twice! which is why I suck at scratchbuilding & buy somebody else's work)

Joe
Old 02-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Joe-on your cylinder,my guess is that it wasn't clean and could have been too hot. Cleanliness is usually the problem. If you can get your hands on "sta-brite" silver solder it comes with acid flux and is low heat. If you get it really clean I think that will hold. My truck bed is steel and it is put together with the "sta-brite" and I have abused it quite severely just when sanding and grinding and finishing on it.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:38 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

dirty joint most likely residue from laquer thiner or oil residue that didn't come off . A little trick I learned cleaning oil off completely is use either (cold weather starting fluid ) dissolves oil real good . another thing , I'm sure you took the cylider all apart before soldering

Old 02-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

I like "brake cleaner" also known as toluene aka paint thinner.

Cheer's, Neil.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Green Horn

mack kid is on a distinguished road

All good but dont know if plumber told you(didnt see it mentioned) to sand it too. need to get oxidation off.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Always thoroughly clean oxidation off. Degrease then clean with SS wire brush , steel wool, or Scotch Bright pad. Preheat, flux,solder. Since you said you're using plumbers solder 50/50? 60/40? The new Antimony Tin Silver stuff is a bit tricky to get a good flow. Flux: use No Corrode solder paste (the brownish stuff) No brainer.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:24 PM

Heavy Metal Doctor is on a distinguished road

Joe, Your 15 minutes of fame isn't over......

Whatever articles / stories where done ( I didn't bother to read them since I'm on here) have spread to every website of all of my other interests and I see new posting every day....I try to "enlighten" the unkowing bashers when I can.....
Old 02-23-2012, 06:33 PM
BANNED

I found time this morning to try to solder it again after a thorough cleaning, sanding, ether cleaning, I tried everybody's tricks except the brake cleaner & special flux.. I ended with the same results again with both the torch & the soldering iron.. mind blowing!

I gobbed quite a bit on with the iron, sanded it down to make it look not quite as ugly.. if it blows out again on me, then I'll just take it to the local machinist in town here and get a proper lesson. That guy can weld anything; I've learned stick hard surfacing, mig, silver solder from him in the past.

My biggest problem I think is that I don't weld often enough, so I never develop the skill well enough to retain the knowledge to do it correctly.

I'm thinking that there has to be something else going here... maybe the original weld is not solder.. I don't know!

I'll install it tonite, work the snott out of it & see how long it lasts!

Thank you HMD, much appreciated! There has been alot misinformation floating around about me & my hobby the last couple weeks... I wish it would end, I'm tired of it! It's been taking up too much of my personal time. Somebody else deserves to be in the spotlight now, there are many others who build far more detailed models than I & they should be recognized too for their efforts & contributions to this fine hobby we all enjoy & work at together.

Joe
Old 02-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Joe I'm thinking the original weld/solder joint is not clean . maybe some residual coolent from the machining

Old 02-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Joe only a suggestion nut if you have a radiator shop around that would be the place to take it they deal with all kinds of soldering jobs even aluminum. That were I took my cylinder and they did a great job at a reasonable price considering they had to put on 2 ends and the metal line that goes from the front to the back of the cylinder. Ed
Old 02-23-2012, 11:45 PM
BANNED

I soaked the cyl in thinner over night, blew it thoroughly with pressurized air & soaked it again to try to get any impurities out of the joint. Blew it dry this morning and began prep work with sanding, ect... I just know it's something stupid.

That's another good idea Ed, if the local machinist is swamped, I'll check there next.

A vid from Sunday night, nothing new to see, the 850 back on the wall ripping & digging... Luving it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aGh834LqFs

Joe