RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Companies & Worksites

Old 09-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Wannabe

RCTech9 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

Good looking aeromax Cooper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:32 AM
Green Horn

apfubar is on a distinguished road

FYI around the pump, etc... On most rc hydraulic tippers, just run the pump until it hits an electric limit switch.. Stop... The lower by reversing the pump... The limits are microswitches ... With a relay... Simpler than hydraulic prv's, and easier to mount.

If you want the details let me know I will dig up a wiring diagram and some part nos.

C
Old 09-24-2014, 09:54 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

Yes, send me some more details. As I have limited experience on limit switches ! Ha!! I never installed them just know to be using a s.diode. But some more knowledge is always wanted!! Thanks. I'm running on 7.2 volts (can change if necessary ) pump can run by esc or by switch. I guess that doesn't really matter. Thanks a lot.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:50 AM
Green Horn

apfubar is on a distinguished road

Have a look at the top left of this excerpt:

The CTI PS4aT converts the single channel to up and down (two functions aren't used).

The two lines out of the CTI go through limit switches to break the circuit when the limit is reached(one has three in this case as the tipper is a three way unit).

These trigger a relay which handles the full current of the pump...

The relay is available from Scale Art.

Cheers,
Ap
Old 09-28-2014, 01:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks for the info!!

Got the cylinder for the dump lift done.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:07 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Ok, got the cylinder working strong. Problem is the pump I was planning on using is shot! It sucks air. I think the seal on motor side is shot. Oil leaks out when under pressure and sucks air when retracting piston cycle. It is a magom small 3mm fitting pump I purchased with a dump of a truck from fellow member. (Really wish I received pics I requested before purchasing, oh well my mistake). Anyone ever take one of them apart? It looks like the pinion is pressed on. If so I question how much damage I may do in the removal process. Might bite the bullet and get the small pump like rc4wd has. Another question for you is how do you guys plumb for a dump cylinder? Do you use a servo and valve? Just plumb pump to cylinder on pressure side with tank on retract side? Just one simple loop of pump to cylinder without a tank? Limit switches to prevent over pressure or the whole boat with prv and valve?? I know questions , questions right??
Old 09-28-2014, 08:58 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

http://umstech.in/search_results.php try 1 of these ( L 00 Y 0300 ) they're good pumps for dumpers . I'm just not sure if their shipping time improved copy/paste # in () into the search box on the site . the website is the same POS interface

Pressure side to up side of cylinder ( vent 2nd port or run straight to top of tank ) suction side of pump to bottom of tank . pump runs FWD to raise , pump runs REV to lower . It would be cool to put valve setup in like the real thing but not necessary .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:58 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

That's how I had it hooked up for testing. Had the hoses taped to a beaker full of oil. I know some say anti-freeze but I'm on the side of light weight hydro oil all the way. This is the pump unit I have removed from the dump of a truck I harvested it from.

I did tear down the pump unit last night and removed pinion from motor shaft without any harm. Some sealant along with a simple o ring is what they use for motor shaft seal on pump housing. Order some orings from McMaster and should have them tomorrow. .09-.07 by 1/16 something like that for replacement.

And someone else asked about the dump of a truck I purchased, some pics before it went to "Harry's you pull it" salvage yard ,

Only problem was Harry wouldn't take it !!!! Lol. Axles seem to be ok, little notchey but they go round. . I ended up going with remote locker axles and a 4x6 drive train anyway.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:59 PM
Apprentice

liftmys10 is on a distinguished road

Hmm I think your PM today was accurate in your description of the truck. Hope you get her all back together.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:30 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I've been at a loggerhead with the dump body, make it out of aluminum? Or steel? I had planned on using 1/4" alum and milling the side profiles into the sheet, also making it lighter. A lot of work and not sure how accurate it would look. Steel, have the ability to bend but welding would not be able to make the seams look clean. Sooooo,,, I decided to try brazing. Went over the the barn and got the oxyacetylene tanks. Of course the acetylene tank was empty, ran over to airgas Wednesday and exchanged both. Thursday night got to play with the torch. Sorta,, oxygen gauge popped and acetylene gauge reading zero on regulator side no matter where bolt was. Made a trip to harbor fright as a cheep torch outfit will serve our rare uses at work. Also picked up this little torch,

And after playing around found out the little torch will be perfect for the tiny delicate brazing I'm trying to do. So after attempting to understand the basic principals of brazing I got my first weld,,

Once I found that magical temp and heat area I understood what to do. The second attempt

And found out not to overheat the flux as it glasses over and hard to remove. Some more learning and then I'm going to attempt to do the dump body like this. I was using 22guage steel. If I can find some slightly thinner I may use that instead. Would be neat to develop some scrapes and dents over time . I would like to say I acquired another skill but I'm far from skilled!! Hats off to you guys that make clean detailed welds!!
Old 10-07-2014, 10:46 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Started on the dump bed,

Just tacked front and back braces to keep the bed square

This is the side profile I'm making. The side spars were cut too long as I recalculated side height to accommodate some wood side rails.

And bottom ribs. These are tacked in place as not really a visible side (most of the time)
Old 10-13-2014, 11:31 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Rain day!!!! Get some garage time!!!

Well I am far far farrrrr from being efficient and aesthetically pleasing in my welding skills!! I am tack welding everything I can then silver brazing seams that will be seen. After learning how to braze I may need to make this truck as a well used and abused dumper. I've managed to glob, over heat, warp, and just overall make a nice flat new dump bed into a beat and abused well used bed!! Well the drive train will be new and shiny. Have to weather the cab now I guess. I know paint can hide and magnify but there is no hope for any paint job to help this. It's a learning project, I keep telling myself.

In this case pictures help hide,lol! It's not too bad on the brazing, once blasted I'm going to go over again and try and smooth out some high spots/puddles. But the little bit of warpage will just have to be delt with. On the second side I did clamp a heat sink (thick angle iron ) to the back side and was more careful of heating too much.

Last edited by Cooper; 10-13-2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Can't spell or type
Old 10-13-2014, 01:46 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

I think you're being too picky RW, function before beauty is my motto. :d

Joe
Old 10-13-2014, 03:10 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Yes, I'm more interested in function. But trying to keep up with the other very skilled builders makes me realize I may be a fast learner but need more time than a week to develop skills like them . I'm more so wanting the lift to be able to lift a overloaded wet clay load than some bumps in the bed. It doesn't look too bad after blasting. I bought a small cabinet for blasting from eBay. It's a fine addition, found out it clogs the filter easily then blows dust. Thought I would hook up shop vac to help pull particles into filter. Kind of funny as when I turned on vac it poped!! The gloves imploded and were rock hard! A little too much suction!! It was rather funny watching me play like a fish out of water with that!!! Anyway, some areas inside cabinet need sealed better and need to make bigger filter and clean often.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

And yes had to take a pic of the better area, lol!!
Old 10-13-2014, 10:11 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

http://youtu.be/foJ4akEh4Co

Had some uphill pushing.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:39 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

And some bonehead surveyor hod the elevations wrong!! So all that dirt pushed uphill had to be pushed right back downhill!!!
http://youtu.be/hiCTfMtQxs8
Old 10-14-2014, 07:41 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Second half of video
http://youtu.be/bXpNDbZ7Sbg
Old 10-14-2014, 02:08 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Cooper-your dozer seems to be working well now and the operator is also improving. Watching the videos I thought -if there were bulldozers millions of years ago, that's what it would have looked like with dinosaurs walking around them. I know the problems you are having with the brazing. I brazed my Marion shovel together and it worked good on small pcs. but the more metal added just turned everything into a heat sink and I could not get the metal hot enough. Some of your joints to me looked like they were not hot enough to flow the silver. Some of this stuff might be worth a try-
http://muggyweld.com/all-products/coolblue Watch the videos and yes I know they are trying to sell the stuff but it looks pretty good. I didn't find this until after I finished my model. Oh well!
Old 10-14-2014, 11:31 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks modelman, I'll get some of that and try it also. This dump bed is a learning process. I'm sure in future I will be making a better looking bed. Got some more done,

Clamp, position, check,,, reclamp, reposition, recheck,,,,,,,,

It did take a bit of time on the belt sander to get the back flat so gate would sit flush.

The piece left in bed was just to keep square. I'm using magnets to keep gate closed. I did incorporate a tunnel in the bottom of bed to accept actual gate locks if I want to try that. That might become another experiment and learning project.