RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:33 PM
Green Horn

Panther F is on a distinguished road
Question Servo questions?

Okay... I may be asking a lot of dumb questions from time to time now that I have a truck and know only a few things about radios and it's systems.

Can 2 servos be installed using a y-harness into the receiver for steering? I'd like to hook a slave servo into the dash to act as a steering wheel simultaneously while the truck turns each direction.

Also, does a servo delay (like the adjustable Turnigy chip) need to be used with the linkage servo so that it doesn't operate so quickly side-to-side? Is that what is being used to dampen the steering action?

"Steer me" (lol) into the right direction please!

~ Jeff

Last edited by Panther F; 10-10-2017 at 08:44 AM. Reason: spelling and in a hurry
Old 10-09-2017, 08:05 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Servo questions?

Yes, they can be combined into a "Y" harness.
The rest of your question(S) I can't answer.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:45 PM
Green Horn

Trucker Al is on a distinguished road

Yes, you can buy a servo slow-down device.
Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:54 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Bo Wallen is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Servo questions?

The signal from the tx goes to a Y if you put the board after one branch of the Y you will slow down one servo If you put the board in the start of the Y both servos slow down. you might need to check how strong the board is. One other thing when use several servos is using a BEC for power supply the rx can't handle too many servos and could die. there is other servo slower downer out there like CTI and such. worth to look around.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:42 AM
Apprentice

TheBennyB is on a distinguished road

Check out these steering kits from Mackey at Dark Dragon Wing. I have his 3d printed V8 and am very impressed with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtsJExzWy5Y

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DarkDragonWi...kAAOSwDshZxYPl
Old 10-10-2017, 09:05 AM
Green Horn

Oh wow, great information guys! Thanks so much and so fast a reply! Good thought on the BEC too.

I have a tiny servo Futaba servo (meant for another project) I thought I'd put to good use but now after that video demo... 15 bucks and what the heck huh? Just change out the rim and cross bar and no limits to adjust.

Speaking of boards. I'm kinda lazy and don't want to download a bunch of sounds for a custom board, do you think a Tamiya semi sound module package would be the best for me? 'Could' it handle the second servo set-up? It has the important sounds, an ESC, speaker, lights and best of all... a fifth wheel. Since I still want that trailer hauler look. Maybe just some wiring work to stretch out but am I right in how they arrive. Plug N play like the tank electronics?

I know many think it's expensive ( but so are tank MFU/DMD's) and they are so simple and reliable and that's what I need AND especially 1 or 2 trucks so I don't need anymore hair loss due to being frustration!
Old 10-10-2017, 10:33 AM
Green Horn

I just looked at Face Book and asked about non-blown engines.

Last edited by Panther F; 10-10-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:52 PM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

What truck are you trying / wanting this steering mod for as the premade steering kit above will not work on COE's, Im doing the steering thing thats been months in the planing and my micro servo had to be mounted in the floor as there wasnt enough room behind the dash ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:48 AM
Green Horn

Yeah, thanks and you are right on a stock dash but I have to make one up as I had the idea after visiting this build thread: http://scalesandcrawlers.forumactif....cross-xc6b-6x6

It's a CROSS XC6 6WD.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:52 PM
Green Horn

So, speaking of the steering servos. What are some good SLOW advertised specs for a quality servo? 16 seconds at 6 volts?

Should I go all metal gears? Even though I am strictly looking at NO ROCK climbing or thrashing, just driving and cruising around with other trucks?

I now have a Hobbywing QUICRUN 1060 Brushed ESC and have decided on getting the CROSS sound system as it sounds simple (just hate the horn) a decent price and not too many gadget/features. I have a speaker and probably need a slower motor than the 55T that came with it.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:00 PM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

If its just for the interor steering wheel a cheap 10dollar metal gear micro servo does the job,
But if your talking about steering servo read this this thread http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...hread.php?t=74

Old 10-12-2017, 08:30 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't even bother with metal gear for steering wheel.
Its overkill but I probably would go metal gear for actual steering unless running a servosaver
Old 10-12-2017, 11:00 PM
On Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
I wouldn't even bother with metal gear for steering wheel.
Its overkill but I probably would go metal gear for actual steering unless running a servosaver
The reason I we with metal gear micro servo was when I put the universal connector ( the same as we use for drive shafts) the grub scew on it would do up tight on the output shaft and they were the same price as plastic geared ones. Also I had to order a few for other parts I’m making for my build.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:19 PM
On Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther F View Post
Okay... I may be asking a lot of dumb questions from time to time now that I have a truck and know only a few things about radios and it's systems.

Can 2 servos be installed using a y-harness into the receiver for steering? I'd like to hook a slave servo into the dash to act as a steering wheel simultaneously while the truck turns each direction.

Also, does a servo delay (like the adjustable Turnigy chip) need to be used with the linkage servo so that it doesn't operate so quickly side-to-side? Is that what is being used to dampen the steering action?

"Steer me" (lol) into the right direction please!

~ Jeff
just did a video of my one and if your using a micro servo you dont need adjustable speed switch as the steering isnt that fast

Old 10-15-2017, 09:24 AM
Green Horn

Thanks for everyones help, it really has opened my eyes!