RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Electronics tech

Electronics tech Anything to do with the electronics in a model. Lights, Radio, ESC, Servo, Basic electrical.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:51 PM

DrDiff is on a distinguished road
Default servonaut anyone?

Does anyone have a servonaut setup in their rig? I don't know german and have no idea what I am looking for.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:08 PM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: servonaut anyone?

Have a read through the Euro Style Trucks and Trailers forum as there are a few rigs in there with both the Euro systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:44 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDiff View Post
Does anyone have a servonaut setup in their rig? I don't know german and have no idea what I am looking for.
Use it all the time. It's awesome products. High quality, easy to set up and gives a very realistic driving experience. Don't worry about the language, since the manuals are both in German and English.

Construction site on Facebook:

Pictures on Instagram:
Old 10-14-2017, 04:36 AM
Wannabe

Rimrock is on a distinguished road

An overview of some of the most popular Servonaut items for 1:14 trucks;

* ESC

Generally the Servonaut ESCs makes one able to run the truck very 'smooth' and controlled forward/reverse, giving 'max power' to the motor. They will not let the truck suddenly 'jump' forward, or reverse, when you just carefully hit 'the pedal', as one can experience with the MFC units. Also one will not have the problem that the ESC starts doing 'cut and restart' when the load gets heavy, as one can experience with MFC that are not able to deliver so much Amps through the system.
Will function for both 7.2V and 12V (11.1 Lipo)

S22 : the classic ESC, full brake automatically on when stick in neautral, then brake release as one move forward or reverse. Gives 100% power/speed forward/reverse. Needs 1 channel. Connection for brake and reverse light. To controll by radio the rest of the main front and rear lights, one need to ad the Servonaut ML4 unit (or other similar independed light switch module)

E22 : similar as S22, and same price range, but with cruise control. Also depends on ML4 to get all light functions. NB! the E22 got 100% speed forward, but 50% speed/power in reverse. Can not be adjusted. Not recommended if often need reversing up a grade with a heavy load. But for 'normal duty' on good roads, no big issue.
Needs 2 channels; one for changeing between forward/reverese, one for speed (the 'pedal') usually hooked up to the left joystick; move the stick down and left/right for change forward/reverse. Let the stick in neutral and the truck will stand still.. as one move the stick forwards the truck will accelerate (as long as the stick is hold somewhere in forward position) When reached the speed one wish, one let the stick back in neutral. Now the truck will move in a certain steady speed forward (or reverse), until one move the stick backwards to de-accelerate.. Will stop when move the stick all the way back, and let it in neutral again) It's a matter of habit, not difficult to get into) Many remove the spring for the 'speed' stick, letting the stick sit all the way back in neuatral position. The advantage is that one are able to make the truck keep a more stable speed, looking more realistic too scale.

M24: ESC with cruise controll (can be turned off and funtion as S22) and fully possible to control main lights front and rear (no need for ML4 or additional modules to control lights) Have some additional settings that one not find in s22 and e22, as adjusting the level of brake power etc, programming between Xenon / standard light and more, but otherwise same basic functions, 100% forward, 100% reverse.

* Sound modules;

The sound modules uses some different speakers, different ohm, varies with type of unit, and 7.2 or 12v, it's specified what to select by the supplier.

SM3 : the basic sound module, one can change between some different engine sounds. in addtion horn, brake,

SM7 : more advanced than SM3, but they got same quality of sound. One can do more programming of the sounds, change the sound level of invidual sounds like turbo, horn and so on.

* Gear motors:

GM32U390, 7.2V (GM32U450, 12V, 50% more power than the U390) More power, less sound, less 'play', take less space than the original Tamiya gearbox/motor. There is a seperate mounting bracket needed for the GM32 motors, UAT1, or UAT2. One of the most popular upgrades in Europe; getting rid of the orignal bulky Tamiya transmission. After some time, many drivers see that it's not that important with 3 gears on such a model truck, more of a sales trick from Tamiya that makes a good picture on the box, as one usually just drive around slowly in 1'st gear anyway to be able to have good control. There is natural the matter of cost and upgrades. If one most have the truck placed on the shelf, no need to do much upgrade, but more active drivers enjoy to look into some upgrades. Among the reasons many trucks sits much time on a shelf, is possible that the owners think that they are not so 'drivable' in original edition, and are not aware of the good upgrades out there that can really change how the truck operates to the better. but yeah, it costs, like most hobbies When talking about drivability, check out RC4WD soft tires, Hauler, Roady, makes a huge difference comapered to the original tires.
There is also variants of the GM32 motors with a transfere case built-in, for driven front axle(s). Suits great with long wheel base trucks, as the US trucks, both not for the short wheel base Euro rigs (and Globeliner) In those cases it is adviced using the basic gearmotor and a stand-alone transfere case.

* Servonaut also offers some of the highest quality front/rear LED prints, mostly for Euro trucks.

Last edited by Rimrock; 10-14-2017 at 05:23 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:03 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Bo Wallen is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: servonaut anyone?

Now that's a good Overview of the ServoNaut system. Thank You Rimrock

A system i'm moving into bit by bit.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:12 PM

DrDiff is on a distinguished road

So do you have to use a Servonaut ESC? Do the Servonaut ESC have voltage cutoff to protect my LiPo batteries?

Cam you suggest the components I need to get the equivalent of a MFU 01?
Old 10-15-2017, 12:27 PM
Wannabe

Can recommend S22, or E22, (+ML4 if want to control all lights) and SM3 sound modul, 8 ohm speaker LAUT85 & LAUTbox85 (for 7.2v. need 16 ohm for 12v). Use same lights as supplied with MFC.
There is LiPo cutoff in the ESC's, but I don't know at what voltage it is set. Generally I feel the suppliers of ESC's with LiPo cut-off set the voltage too low. I recommend using a seperate lipo alarm anyway, set at 3.6-3.7v. Then the batteri is at 10-20% capasity. If pushing the batteries downwards to 3.5-3v can hurt one or several cells to a degreee that one never get the same 'jucie' out of the battery. In my experience I just recharge the lipos at about 3.7v, feel no need to push them more.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:54 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Great explanation of the various Servonaut products, well done Oyvind, much appreciated. I would think the M24 would be an ideal solution for dozer control, but is it offered in dual motor control?

Joe
Old 10-16-2017, 02:00 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Great explanation of the various Servonaut products, well done Oyvind, much appreciated. I would think the M24 would be an ideal solution for dozer control, but is it offered in dual motor control?
Then you would look at the M220;https://www.servonaut.de/shop/de/pro...gler-m220.html

Construction site on Facebook:

Pictures on Instagram:

Last edited by egronvold; 10-16-2017 at 02:03 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:25 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Bo Wallen is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: servonaut anyone?

I will agree with Joe. Thank You Oyvind for the great info. And when you open Servonaut site in Google Chrome and press Translate it's all there for us to understand in pure English. Now back to my shop, got some serious upgrades to do.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:19 PM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Wallen View Post
I will agree with Joe. Thank You Oyvind for the great info. And when you open Servonaut site in Google Chrome and press Translate it's all there for us to understand in pure English. Now back to my shop, got some serious upgrades to do.
No problem, I'm a fan of Servonaut, glad to advice about their products. They used to have an english option on their website, but have recently changed to a new layout and not yet updated it to english. A tip is to open the product manuals under each product, 'dokumente', for more detailed info than I've given above, a pdf file where things are written in english in addition to german.

Oyvind
Old 10-20-2017, 06:20 PM
Apprentice

liftmys10 is on a distinguished road

Just to add to the well written overview by rimrock, there is also SMB but that's for an excavator. I know you mentioned for a rig. But the installation is more or less the same. It came with an English manual and very easy to follow. I just bought mine recently from http://www.gardentrucking.com
Old 10-21-2017, 08:03 PM
Wannabe

Brel is on a distinguished road

I had the Tamiya MFU in my Tamiya Scania and when bought the vekerk grill and sunblind lights and changed the rear light clusters on the truck for eurostyle ones I changed the MFU for a servonaught system, using a M24 to drive the truck which also incorporates light control via the TX and a SM3 sound modual to make the relavant noises, I mounted the speaker in the roof of the truck to get it out of the way and it does not detract from the sound output

Last edited by Brel; 10-21-2017 at 08:06 PM.