RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Farm Tractors and Implements

Farm Tractors and Implements Discussion of farm equipment

Old 12-21-2017, 03:40 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Ertl Ford 7710 Tractor

My mechanic said he'd learned some new swear words and was eager to try them out. Well the best thing i know of to air out some nice long streaks of swears is either Farm Equipment or General Motors vehicles.

He sent a helper off to go grab the used 7710 we picked up when looking at farm trucks.

This one came apart a little strange, but i believe it's common for the type.

Start by cutting all the stickers at the parting line.
Rear axle rod has a pushnut on one side, somehow a grinder and punch got involved.
There was a pushnut and rod holding the ROPS, and another an suitcase weights, they weren't too bad.
There were a couple more rods hidden under stickers that need gently lifted so you can save them.
There are a couple 1 sided body rivets camoflaged so they might just be details that actually need drilled

Looks like it'll need a pair of gearmotors in the back, some kind of adapter hub. Scratch build a brass straight axle, with suspension pivot. Probably some fender headlights, rear work light, yellow blinky lights to slowly annoy traffic.

Maybe a better looking Drawbar or a 3-point hitch?
Is there much cool a PTO would let me do that a motor in the implement wouldn't do better?
Are dual esc Cutting Brakes worth bothering with?

Guess i'm going ta have to come up with a plan before he reads any more new words he wants to try out...
Old 12-21-2017, 05:19 PM
Wannabe

Mustang46555 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ertl Ford 7710 Tractor

That is going to be a cool project.
I hope your mechanic picked up the shrink ray from "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" he's going to need it to get everything stuffed in there. I can't wait to see what you come up with!
Old 04-17-2020, 11:07 AM

Southgate ll is on a distinguished road

Frizzen, are you going to run the gearmotors back to back, one to each wheel and let them differentiate for the rear axle? Dan

Edited in: I just noticed your original post date. Has there been any progress on this?
Old 04-17-2020, 04:59 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

The ford pretty well stalled out on top of my bench. I did mess around some with another tractor because i had n20 motors that would work for it, but it's not running yet either.

I've bought up a bunch of different gearmotors, finally found 1 that would fit for both sides, but it had no markings. Then that supplier went out, so i'm still trying to track down more.

1 gearmotor each rear wheel, it might electrically act like a differential a little, but it would be against pretty heavy gear reduction to get that height tire to travel at tractor speed.
I know that in my in-progress bruder forklift conversion, parallel wiring the motors it can diff sometimes.

If there's room with all the other stuff inside, the plan was to run each gearmotor off a seperate esc. Channel mix them with steering channel for cutting brakes. Or maybe just mix them with a different unused channel, i dunno. The few real tractors i've messed with weren't equipped.

----

I've been tweaking on a ertl john deere garden tractor like maybe a 210. Because it'd be really wild if i can make it work.
And i'd love to find a model of a 1938 Minneapolis Moline UDLX to mess up.

----
If i were smart i'd have decided to do a Row-Crop or Hi-Crop model (tricycle looking), or have found a more collector oriented one, so i wouldn't need to modify the whole steering axle

Last edited by frizzen; 09-02-2020 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:11 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I was going to post that it's about this far along. Made a pair of wheel adapter bushings out of brass shaft couplers, body has the axle tubes cut off and opened up to accept motors, gearmotors ready to epoxy in.

Apparently Imgur did some 'update' so i've got to relearn how to use it

https://imgur.com/a/1cnOYB3

Yes, that's a garden tractor, should also be interesting...

Last edited by frizzen; 07-29-2020 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Test
Old 07-17-2020, 09:36 PM
Journeyman

sparkycuda is on a distinguished road

To make an "electrical differential", wire the two motors in series. When one wheel senses a heavier load (usually the inside wheel when turning) the other wheel will speed up. Of course, you have to use different voltage motors than normal - ex: if 12V battery, then each motor should be rated at 6V.
This method is used in some model wheel loaders that have 4 wheel motors. Motors on each axle are in series, while the front & rear axles are wired in parallel.

Ken