RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 1/16 Bucyrus-Monighan Walking Dragline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallHaul View Post
Steve, There is only one little mark on the left side board. Actually I was hoping there would be more marks/dents on it so, that you can tell it has been used to haul dirt. I could mark it up with a screwdriver but, that would be faking it...not

It was funny, when someone rolled the old Ford tonka dump truck they felt horrible and I just laughed because the entire truck is metal except for the axle housings so, rolling it won't hurt anything.

I was amazed that after all of my equipment being run by so many people only the bull dozer broke. The dozer is an easy fix too, the left drive wheel just needs to be re-glued to the hub. We were using the 4x4 tonka DT to push the Mack up the hill a couple times and I lost one of the headlights but, when I unloaded the 4runner yesterday I found the headlight laying on the floor!

guess I should have had the binder there to at least pull the mack around
Steve great vids

IHSteve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallHaul View Post
Steve, There is only one little mark on the left side board. Actually I was hoping there would be more marks/dents on it so, that you can tell it has been used to haul dirt. I could mark it up with a screwdriver but, that would be faking it...not

It was funny, when someone rolled the old Ford tonka dump truck they felt horrible and I just laughed because the entire truck is metal except for the axle housings so, rolling it won't hurt anything.

I was amazed that after all of my equipment being run by so many people only the bull dozer broke. The dozer is an easy fix too, the left drive wheel just needs to be re-glued to the hub. We were using the 4x4 tonka DT to push the Mack up the hill a couple times and I lost one of the headlights but, when I unloaded the 4runner yesterday I found the headlight laying on the floor!
HMMM, Maybe I can take care of that at York this winter I'm sure I can put some more nicks in it I saw on scale4x4 someone makes thin aluminum truck bodies and maybe he can make dump bodies out of a little thicker material, and then let me load it and turn Scotty loose driving the Mack

Tom, We have 110V now in the big green building in the background.

Ed, Which dragline? Orange? that's SmallHaul
Old 08-18-2010, 09:34 AM

CatdrvR is on a distinguished road

Absolutely stunning piece of equipment you got there Monigan. When do you expect to finish the superstructure with side panels and such? She will be even more pretty when she's got some paint on her. I will definitely have to see this machine in person someday. Keep up the great work.

Dan
Old 08-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatdrvR View Post
Absolutely stunning piece of equipment you got there Monigan. When do you expect to finish the superstructure with side panels and such? She will be even more pretty when she's got some paint on her. I will definitely have to see this machine in person someday. Keep up the great work.

Dan
I am working on the boom but stopped for the summer. I should have most the superstructure done by January and hopefully most of the boom. I only want to skin half of the machine because I have most of the internal machinery near exact as a real machine. I've never seen this done on a dragline model before and I have seen the "Little Giant" stripping shovel at the Big Brutis museum in Kansas that has what appears to be all the machinery.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Apprentice

trucker n is on a distinguished road

sweet
Old 08-23-2010, 05:00 AM

Southgate is on a distinguished road

You guys are giving me a headache.

I mean that in the nicest way. I've loved big equipment all my life, and have modeled in 1/25 scale for most of it. I get plenty of respect for my work on the model forums, but I get here, what, a couple days ago now. I feel like such a runt! Looking at this stuff just blows me away.

This machine and others I've seen here makes me realize that I will have to considder this a whole different league than what I'm in, but I can certainly appreciate it none the less. Dan
Old 08-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southgate View Post
You guys are giving me a headache.

I mean that in the nicest way. I've loved big equipment all my life, and have modeled in 1/25 scale for most of it. I get plenty of respect for my work on the model forums, but I get here, what, a couple days ago now. I feel like such a runt! Looking at this stuff just blows me away.

This machine and others I've seen here makes me realize that I will have to considder this a whole different league than what I'm in, but I can certainly appreciate it none the less. Dan
This machine gives me a headache now and then considering the thousands of hours I've spent designing documenting and machining. But when I took it out to show how it digs all that was behind me other than walking it into place. That gets a little tedious. It definitely needs 2-3 people watching what's going on. I know now I have to weld the cleats on the bottom of the shoes too. If it walks up much of a grade it slips especially if there's not enough dirt under a shoe. My owners manual says: not to walk a new machine up more than a 7% grade and once broken in no more than a 10% grade. I think we were a bit over that in spots.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Here's a flashback to a time consuming job building my swing gearboxs. I still need to machine the second housing though but the machine performs perfect with only one. I have drawings of the real gearing and I made the gears exactly only 1/16th scale.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:39 AM

Southgate is on a distinguished road

Are you a machinist by trade? everything looks SO professional.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

This is an outstanding build. Was watching it on Garden until it vanished. Hope to see it in person someday!!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Southgate , Yes I have a small machine shop and fab shop.

tc1cat, You will need to make your machine operational so you can bring it to York, PA this January along with D9 Joe to do some pushing at the CabinFever Expo.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: 1/16 Bucyrus-Monighan Walking Dragline

9W excellent work I wish I could do that but just a dumb retired truck driver. Ed
Old 08-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Dozer Builder

td9clyde will become famous soon enoughtd9clyde will become famous soon enough

Awsome work 9W your shovel/ dragline???? is going to be sooooo sweet you don't see alot of those machines around here except at the old gravel pits and they have been retired and setting in the same place for decades lol very nice machine work i may have to try some of that on my next models after the scraper is done ....lol couple more years maybe sooner i donno nice job and keep up the great work
Old 08-26-2010, 10:37 PM
Green Horn

cummingsman29 is on a distinguished road

That is one big toy! Awesome work!!
Old 08-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

coming along nicely! havent followed up on this thread since garden closed.
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Journeyman

sparkycuda is on a distinguished road

I've been following this build and have always appreciated the workmanship and machining. But I completely lost it when you said the gears were made to 1/16 scale! The gearcase and inner workings are just a marvel of precision manufacturing. Thanks for all the pictures and explanations - they keep me inspired to keep working on my dozer.

Ken
Old 08-29-2010, 03:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks everybody.
I just got back from the Antique Caterpillar-ACMOC national show in Portland Indiana. I have some interesting pictures of a crane that you sit on to operate a clam bucket. There was supposed to be another P&H shovel one of my friends told me about but the flea market is so big I didn't go looking for it. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:26 PM

lorenzo is on a distinguished road

Hey Steve,

will the boom be part of the final boom or is it just a temp one?
Old 08-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo View Post
Hey Steve,

will the boom be part of the final boom or is it just a temp one?
That's just some 1/8x3/8 flat bar tacked together. Each bucket full weighs approximately 10 lbs. and it holds OK. The real boom I'm working on is made of brass tee bar I've milled from solid like all my "I" beams.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Here's one of the first things I built back in April 02'