RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Mechanical tech

Mechanical tech This is for the mechanical parts of a model. Gear reductions, Axles, Transmissions, General drive line

Old 10-14-2017, 09:55 AM
Wannabe

Rimrock is on a distinguished road
Default From 6x4 to 6x6 - Euro truck

Showing here an example of modification to front driven axle on a short wheel base truck, Euro tractor, as I do for others once in a while. I concider the LESU alu. axle with lockable diff and 1:3.09 among the best aftermarked axles out there. The fact that's it has a different ratio from standard Tamiya, 1:2.66, makes it a bit tricky to combine. In order to keep costs down, many wish to keep the original rear axles, which functions fine. I use my own developed transfere case that got a ratio of 1:1.158 (22/19 theet), it's as close to the 3.09/2.667 ratio as possible, but not 100%) the rear axles are on direct drive from the motor, while the front axle turns with about 15-16% more rpm to make it all ad up. I've calculated that if driving about 2 km, 1 1/4 mile, the one axles would theoretically want to run about 2-3 m longer, so pretty close. In practical it's so close that it works without any problems. There is installed the Servonaut GM32U390 gearmotor mounted to a custom bracket to place it at a good hight in relation to the fron axle, about 10-12 mm clearence. The original front springs are used, but have drilled holes in them in order to attach to the Lesu axle. The rear suspension was already rised 10mm, and it was just the correct hight in realtion to the front, with springs still in original position. The original rear suspension work fine with the 10mm rise, so much more movement. The original 'stoppers' on the rear axles are removed, and also the shocks (which just were there for the looks) The existing MFC-01 was unit ripped out, an reinstalled much smoother, powerfull and compact Servonaut ESC S22, and a Beier USM sound/light module. 'Suddenly' way better room under the cab) Now the truck is ready again for hauling those heavy loads of gravel, hopefull with much better traction)
The steering servo is postioned as close up to the axle as possible, and just one linkage. It's a 17kgcm servo, HD-1501MG, I don't use ny weaker than that on the trucks, last longer. Front rims are plastic, Tamiya's wide version with Hex (don't know of such in narrow version) Have used the narrow tire what already where on the truck, as the RC4WD wide Roady I normally put on,was a bit too smaller diameter than these tires (which are even larger than the original Tamiya tires)

Last edited by Rimrock; 10-14-2017 at 10:12 AM.