RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks

Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks This forum is for those multiple axle trucks and other vehicles on and off road.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:36 PM
Green Horn

Panther F is on a distinguished road
Question Thoughts on the RC4WD BEAST II 1/14?

I hope this is in the right place but other than weak axles, is this a good first truck for an old tank RC'er? I don't plan on rock crawling, just like 3 powered axles and it's 1/14 scale at an affordable price.

OR... would it be easier (and cost effective) to add a powered front axle & transfer case to a Tamiya Semi?

I need a truck and it's long overdue now.

Jeff
Old 07-16-2017, 02:14 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Northern Farmer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thoughts on the RC4WD BEAST II 1/14?

Beast would look pretty radical with a hauler body on there Price wise customizing a semi to be 6x6 would probably be on par with the price of the Beast 2 kit. Plus you wouldn't have to scratch your head trying to figure out a 6x6 setup for your semi.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:30 PM
Apprentice

TheBennyB is on a distinguished road

Depending on what you want to do with it Jeff you can also look the cheap route. It's not the best quality but can get spare parts and leaves you money for a different body if you like. On the other end, you could also check out Cross R/C.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HG-P601-...3D331838095389

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CROSS-RC-GC4...kAAOSwLEtYkUmr

http://www.cross-rc.com/
Old 07-18-2017, 07:43 AM
Green Horn

Thanks for the replies guys. What I want to 'do' with it is I'd really like to have a MAZ 537 in 1/14... that's the idea need. Since I'm into 1/16 armor, the 1/14 Tamiya semis are nice and would work as a transport but they really don't do much off-road, and I am not interested in rock climbing at all.

I thought the price was rather low for the BEAST but if the CROSS wasn't in those scales (especially that command vehicle) it would be a no brainer. They are simply the better choice.

The BEAST is about 25 inches long, WB is 16 with a track width almost 12 inches. I'm afraid 1/12 might look way out of scale compared to a German tank. But they are WAY good looking as I would have to do something with the BEAST cab body.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:50 AM
Journeyman

kaptain Jack is on a distinguished road

Beast cab body is pathetic! Few thin peaces of styrene glued at the edge offer absolutely no rigidity. Aluminum would be my choice.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:20 AM
Apprentice

Sometimes the "scale" can be misleading. Check out the dimensions of the vehicle and not necessarily just the scale. If the wheelbase and width are ok you can fool the eye a bit with different size wheels/tires and body.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:05 PM
Green Horn

You ARE so correct kaptain Jack on the cab! FUGLY and a piece of... Saw a review of the RTR on you tube (it was a glue bomb) and was not impressed. It would be replaced for sure.

And Brett you are so right (like on many occasions) on the scale and just a brief comparison on a few it looks almost similar! The UC6 Cross might be a good one to look at first (for me) as I can put up with that cab and replace it later.

Where is the best place to buy CROSS?
Old 07-18-2017, 01:11 PM
Journeyman

kaptain Jack is on a distinguished road

UC6 was sold out (at that price!!!) so, its probably WHERE you can find it.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:34 PM
Green Horn

Hmmm... maybe I should get that Soviet ZIS-150 cab before it's too late?
Old 07-18-2017, 02:37 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther F View Post
Hmmm... maybe I should get that Soviet ZIS-150 cab before it's too late?
150 Cab is really nice. You have to watch what chassis your putting it on though since it's highly detailed and has full interior and floor boards its tough to get it around electroinics and such. Need to have a pretty unobstructed flat deck to mount it on. I'm looking to put mine on a Trail Finder 2.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:12 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBennyB View Post
150 Cab is really nice. You have to watch what chassis your putting it on though since it's highly detailed and has full interior and floor boards its tough to get it around electroinics and such. Need to have a pretty unobstructed flat deck to mount it on. I'm looking to put mine on a Trail Finder 2.

Good to know! See, the things learned as I never knew to watch out for that.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:34 PM
Apprentice

Check this out. No feedback so may be fishy but can pay via paypal to be protected.
Could at least keep an eye on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Cross-RC...YAAOSwD5BZbZcH
Old 07-18-2017, 04:11 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBennyB View Post
Check this out. No feedback so may be fishy but can pay via paypal to be protected.
Could at least keep an eye on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Cross-RC...YAAOSwD5BZbZcH

Ha-ha. New eBayer should at least use REAL photos of the actual item they have and not stock Internet photos to be convincing. Nice find but we should all watch it to see the results!

If it smells fishy, it most likely is a carp. (crap)
Old 07-19-2017, 09:59 AM
Apprentice

Would still need radio and electronics but decent price on a Cross r/c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CROSS-RC-MC6...8AAOSwyQtV5hxm
Old 07-19-2017, 11:11 AM
Green Horn

I have a quick question. Are all 1/12 CROSS 6X6 the same just with a different cab/body?

I've seen 3 or 4 advertised CROSS trucks with a different style/cab.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:58 PM
Apprentice

Yes they are. Check their website for the different dimensions like these. Scroll down a bit to see diagrams with dimensions.

http://www.cross-rc.com/productinfo.aspx?pid=179

http://www.cross-rc.com/productinfo.aspx?pid=115
Old 07-19-2017, 11:36 PM
Apprentice

Been giving this a bit of thought Jeff, and really if your thinking you just want a transporter that may see some grass and packed dirt a tammy rig will fit the bill. Not going to be 6X6 but will work. Grab a Globeliner and the only must in my opinion is a reduction off the gearbox since the stock gearbox ratio's are just too high. Throw the reduction unit in and some off road tires for the back 2 axles and you'd be good to go. Just another thought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Add-On-Speed...0AAOSwknJXyjiI

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rubber-Climb...wAAOSw3YJZSkKd
Old 07-20-2017, 02:32 AM

sassgrunt is on a distinguished road

Well, if you used a Globeliner as a basis, you COULD still make it a 6x6 by using a TLT axle on the front. Then, you use the inside half of a dual (rear) wheel on that axle, and it makes it about the same width as the rear axles with the dual wheels, (about 7" wide).

Now, another option using these same axles, (and I'm doing this on a Pixar Mack Hauler I'm making for my grandson), is to use "wheel spacers" on the rear axles, which will bring all three axles to the same width, (about 8" wide). The type I used is similar to these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-12mm-Hex-W...oAAOSwB09YPii5 -Mike

Last edited by sassgrunt; 07-20-2017 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:12 AM
Green Horn

I cannot thank you guys enough for all your eye opening suggestions and advice. I told you I know nothing about trucks, only what I have learned right here. My fault for being so one dimensional with armor all these years, not that I'm a know-it-all in that hobby.

I didn't know the Tamiya semis were just a floor pan chassis with a ladder frame attached in the rear. I thought they were all metal framed. THAT'S the allure on the 6X6's. I kinda thought there would be more work to put a driven front axle in the semis and the matching of gear ratios plus all the hardware. They just don't have a section where it's all ONE package to change your truck over to (there should be but there's probably a reason why) all wheel drive. That's why I looked at the BEAST and just sacrifice the fifth wheel arrangement for now.

It'll be tough for me to just build one of these 6X6 trucks, as an RTR is not for me (or cost effective either) but we'll see.

Just when I think I know what to settle for...
Old 07-21-2017, 06:39 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther F View Post
I cannot thank you guys enough for all your eye opening suggestions and advice. I told you I know nothing about trucks, only what I have learned right here. My fault for being so one dimensional with armor all these years, not that I'm a know-it-all in that hobby.

I didn't know the Tamiya semis were just a floor pan chassis with a ladder frame attached in the rear. I thought they were all metal framed. THAT'S the allure on the 6X6's. I kinda thought there would be more work to put a driven front axle in the semis and the matching of gear ratios plus all the hardware. They just don't have a section where it's all ONE package to change your truck over to (there should be but there's probably a reason why) all wheel drive. That's why I looked at the BEAST and just sacrifice the fifth wheel arrangement for now.

It'll be tough for me to just build one of these 6X6 trucks, as an RTR is not for me (or cost effective either) but we'll see.

Just when I think I know what to settle for...
Not sure what you mean by "floor pan chassis with a ladder frame attached in the rear". The Tamiya 1/14 scale trucks have as close to any 1:1 Class 8 truck chassis that I've ever seen in model form. Not being critical just trying to under stand the comment. I like 6x6 chassis' and have built one in mostly Tamiya 1/14 scale parts and I'm collecting parts for another one, the difficulty is finding TLT front axles. If money is no issue there are a few after market sets to choose from but you have to replace all of them. I did a build thread on here of my 6x6 using Photobucket so of course the pictures are gone from here but I still have the originals, if you want any help just ask.

Last edited by TRUCKMAKER; 07-21-2017 at 06:42 PM.