RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Body Shop Tech

Body Shop Tech Body mods and tricks of the trade and painting tricks here.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:27 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough
Default Tamiya Paints

Hi All.

Has anyone used the Tamiya enamel paints. Not the stuff in the spray can, the stuff in the jars. Either with an air brush or whatever.

On second thought include the spray cans, the paint should be the same.

Also do you know if Tamiya has their own thinner for their Enamels, I looked on their site, and saw some but when I click on it it takes me to something else.

I really like the Purple they have and would like to use that color if the paint is any good.

I will be painting my truck with an airbrush and not the spray can, so I was just wondering about how well the paint thins and how it flows, and how sturdy of a paint is it.

-Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike "DREAMWEAVER" Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11

Rims and Tanks by ihbuilder / Grill and Visor by Brian in PA / Mirrors, Front and Rear Bumper, Back of Cab Lights, and Steering Arms by tc1cat / Fenders by Stylin n Profilin / Frame Rails by The Late Freddy Gear Drive
Old 12-01-2010, 01:13 AM
It's a dry 115 degrees.

SonoranWraith is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tamiya Paints

I have used the enamels for years on small static model parts but never airbrushed with them. The stuff in the spray can is not the same at all though. The spray cans are synthetic lacquers. I remember a table about what can and cannot be layered under and over the synthetic laquer but I couldn't find it in my file. There are plenty of paint pros here that will have great advice.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:38 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoranWraith View Post
I have used the enamels for years on small static model parts but never airbrushed with them. The stuff in the spray can is not the same at all though. The spray cans are synthetic lacquers. I remember a table about what can and cannot be layered under and over the synthetic laquer but I couldn't find it in my file. There are plenty of paint pros here that will have great advice.
Thanks Sir.

I had that table you are talking about, but I can't find it either. I basically won't mix anything anymore. If I do one color in enamel then all are enamel. I go as far as to do all colors by the same manufacturer as well when using enamels. I have found that even though the paints are enamels that some or most manufacturers have their own thinners and those can cause problems between different brands.

Screwed up one or two paint jobs on my trains, not willing to do that on my truck.

-Mike

Mike "DREAMWEAVER" Johnson

Rims and Tanks by ihbuilder / Grill and Visor by Brian in PA / Mirrors, Front and Rear Bumper, Back of Cab Lights, and Steering Arms by tc1cat / Fenders by Stylin n Profilin / Frame Rails by The Late Freddy Gear Drive
Old 12-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Tamiya spray can's do give a nice finish but it is not durable at all it scratches easily and and most cleaner's or solvents will eat into it immediately. Here are some pics of trucks painted with Tamiya paint.

Travis

Old 12-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

it does scrape off easy but the primer sticks pretty good.
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
Old 12-02-2010, 01:55 AM

Longhair is on a distinguished road

Wouldn't a couple of layers of clear coat give protection against scratches and other things that can easily damage the paint?
Old 12-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about

No not really the paint is very soft. Use Dupla Color or real auto paint they can inject into a spray can it sprays way nicer and looks ten times better then you can also use real clear they also have that in a spray can..

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

Old 02-22-2016, 12:16 AM

Howie is on a distinguished road

But is the color the same as the spray and in the small jar?