RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:19 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Nick's 379 build

Looks good Nick, you nailed the Pete look!

Brian
Old 05-24-2011, 07:15 AM
Wannabe

Snowman is on a distinguished road

Aww thanks guys, I was starting to doubt myself. Still need to tidy up the bodywork, cut out the windshield, mount the headlights, finish up the fenders, make a drop visor, mount the running lights....
So much left to do!

My Peterbilt build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:03 PM

straightpipejakebrake is on a distinguished road

Well get going lol keep those updates coming!
Old 05-27-2011, 01:13 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

If you ask me, it's looking really nice, and definitely has the Peterbilt look. I admire your patience. Had I the same body working skills, maybe I would have stuck it out with the King Hauler I used to have.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Wannabe

Thanks Nathan, you mention body working skills, I gotta tell you, I had no skills to speak of, I was just inspired by the other builds out there. I have taken a "shoot first, ask questions later" approach to this build by just cutting pieces off the king hauler and then worrying about how I was going to modify the body to get the right look. It has meant a lot of time and patience, but it has forced me to develop the needed skills. I had a very clear picture in my mind of what I wanted the end result to look like and the box stock king just doesn't cut it. But it makes for a great base.
Ok a little more progress.
Mounted the headlights. Need to finish routing the wires for the left headlight and also a bit of fine tuning to get everything mounted level and straight. The bumper there is temporary, just clamped 2 pieces together to simulate the overall dimensions of the bumper I have on order.

Also I finished up the fenders. They bolt on to facilitate the painting stage when I finally get there. Here's a detail shot:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Master A-Modeler

sneaky-pete is on a distinguished road

Nice work Nick.....the truck looks great!
Old 05-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Wannabe

Thanks Troy! Any progress on the KW truck on the far right of your sig pic? And what about the one on the far left, looks cool, don't think we've seen that one?

Old 07-24-2011, 06:57 PM

nztrucker is on a distinguished road

thats mad looking pete
Old 11-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Wannabe

Here's a long overdue update
Mounted the qtr fender, steps and tanks on one side and fitted Russ' cool air ride suspension. Was hard work getting the steps and tank right. Now I have to mount the other side exactly the same! Still working on the ride height of the rear suspension. Would like it to sit a tiny bit lower. Still to do is to mount the qtr fender, steps and tank on the other side, mount IHB's cool air cleaners (and wheels when I get them), mount stylin's big pipes, mount the bumper and fab a drop visor. Then there's the marker lights and headlights. Oh and then finish up the bodywork and paint it. Urgh, not much left then!

Old 11-08-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm tryin Boss!

Stylin n profilin has a spectacular aura aboutStylin n profilin has a spectacular aura aboutStylin n profilin has a spectacular aura about

Nice job Nick...This is going to be one badazz ride when its done.

One Bus Stop Short Of The Short Bus...
Old 11-08-2011, 07:39 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

Thats a great update Nick!! The stance looks sweet! Keep up the good work!

Brian
Old 11-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Green Horn

cabrover is on a distinguished road

Looking good Nick, cant wait for more updates!

Tim
Old 11-08-2011, 08:43 PM

AZLIGHTNING is on a distinguished road

Great looking Build, I can only Imagine how nice it will look once your Done. it will be stunning when it gets some paint and custom wheels.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

BRICKNICK is on a distinguished road

I'm really liking this Pete, its got the perfect largecar look going on. Keep it up.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylin n profilin View Post
Nice job Nick...This is going to be one badazz ride when its done.
thanks John, glad you like it, I hope it turns out at least half a good as your trucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in PA View Post
Thats a great update Nick!! The stance looks sweet! Keep up the good work!
Brian
Thanks Brian, coming from the master peterbilt builder that means a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrover View Post
Looking good Nick, cant wait for more updates!
Tim
I'll try and get some updates to show soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLIGHTNING View Post
Great looking Build, I can only Imagine how nice it will look once your Done. it will be stunning when it gets some paint and custom wheels.
I can't wait to see it done too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICKNICK View Post
I'm really liking this Pete, its got the perfect largecar look going on. Keep it up.
Thanks man, largecar is what I had in mind!

Old 11-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Master A-Modeler

sneaky-pete is on a distinguished road

It's looking very cool Nick......now hurry up and finish it.
Do you know what color it's going to be?
Old 11-10-2011, 05:49 AM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky-pete View Post
It's looking very cool Nick......now hurry up and finish it.
Do you know what color it's going to be?
Thanks Troy, I gotta get back into my workshop then!
I do know what colour it's gonna be. Ok so I was gonna keep it a secret but stuff that. Top half black, bottom half & frame a kind of seville orange/red.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Great work, Nick! I like the stance. She's got a little rake to her, but maybe a trailer on the back would level it up? Or, from the looks of it, the front end could be raised just a tad. The wheel isn't exactly centered in the fender, unless you are going for that front end on air bags, dropped look? Either, way, it's a beautiful ringer of a Peterbilt truck. I like the extended hood! What tires are you running? They look like some nice low pros.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:57 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough

Lookin Sweeet Nick. Good job on the styrene work.

Mike "DREAMWEAVER" Johnson

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11

Rims and Tanks by ihbuilder / Grill and Visor by Brian in PA / Mirrors, Front and Rear Bumper, Back of Cab Lights, and Steering Arms by tc1cat / Fenders by Stylin n Profilin / Frame Rails by The Late Freddy Gear Drive
Old 11-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Great work, Nick! I like the stance. She's got a little rake to her, but maybe a trailer on the back would level it up? Or, from the looks of it, the front end could be raised just a tad. The wheel isn't exactly centered in the fender, unless you are going for that front end on air bags, dropped look? Either, way, it's a beautiful ringer of a Peterbilt truck. I like the extended hood! What tires are you running? They look like some nice low pros.
Thanks Nathan. Yeah it does have quite a rake but I'm still playing around with the dummy airbags on the rear axles. It's a complicated operation of cutting down springs, squeezing them into the rubber gaiters, bolting the end caps to the suspension and stretching the gaiters over them, then standing back and taking a look to see I need to start over again. Kinda takes it out of me each time! It does squat a little bit under weight, I tested 8kg on the back. For now I'm just going to have to keep it at that ride height, any lower and the qtr fenders get torn clean off when driving around my house! Ideally I would like some working airbags but that's a long way off. I can always drop the rear for shelf queen/photo session duties. The rake only shows at eye level, not when it's driving around on the floor.
I spent ages perfecting the drop on the front end, there's no way I'll be raising it! Actually I lowered the front axle a bit but also dropped the fenders too, it's all part of the low rider look. I think that's what makes the hood look so big. I've not added anything to the length of it, just lengthened the cowl by about 5mm. The lack of breathers makes it look longer too, but that will be rectified soon. The body also sits a bit lower due to the modifications I made to the shape of the hood, it meets with the cab higher than the original kh hood. The biggest challenge will be engineering the flip up bumper but I think I have it nailed (in my head at least). My challenge with this build has been the trade off between having it slammed to the ground but still having enough clearance to drive it about the house. This baby's not going to see much action outdoors! Not many places I can take it where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamweaver View Post
Lookin Sweeet Nick. Good job on the styrene work.
Thanks, that has taken the most amount of time out of everything. But you know all about the headaches of styrene work with your classy shak!

Last edited by Snowman; 11-11-2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: typo