RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Journeyman

Bigrigger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Movie Optimus Prime build

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbob View Post
They're not THAT good!
No Kingbob, they are that good.

These look simply phenomenal! This would be a brilliant paint job on a full-size car, let alone a 1:14 scale replica!

The excellence of your work continues...
Old 07-16-2013, 02:29 AM
Wannabe

kingbob is on a distinguished road

And i just discovered a new detail. Theres a small oval window in the lower part of the door. Have to ponder whether to add it.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:59 AM

LOUIE 379 is on a distinguished road

Bob,
i would add the window but if not, maybe even paint it on to look like it, just a thought , great job by the way
Old 07-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Wannabe

Question for those who know more about the real things: does a Pete like the Optimus truck only have that oval window on the right hand door?

I cant find any pics of there being a window like that on the left.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Bob, those windows on the passenger side door (left hand drive here in the USA) are very common. They are used to check blind spots, when changing lanes. A lot of trucks have them. I'm not sure I've ever seen a truck that didn't have one. Most drivers seem to use the mirrors more then that window though. What they do use the window for, more often then not, is for stickers, or to stick a suction cup footed Garfield there.

Last edited by Espeefan; 07-17-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:21 AM
Wannabe

Yeah going over reference pics it does appear a few times on the right only. Surprisingly well hidden detail. Guess if its only the one, I better add it in!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

yea bob they are only on the right for the blind spot as previously said .i drove a gmc general awhile back that had the window on the right and a vent door on the left,as for the kw's and the petes that window was there before someone decided to add the convex mirror's to the nose of the trucks for your blind spots.surprising my real 85 kenworth w900b does not have that window on the passenger door...its solid
Old 07-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Journeyman

Radio Control Trucker is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Movie Optimus Prime build

The side window in the right-door is in most U.S. trucks. It was installed to help the driver watch his/her blind-spot.
It also makes for a wonderful easy-access panel when you lose your keys, to get into your truck (Don't ask).

It's not hard to install one for the replica. I've seen several done & they look really nice.

- RCT

"Keep the Shiny-side Up, the Dirty-side Down & Keep 'er to the Line."
Old 07-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Control Trucker View Post
The side window in the right-door is in most U.S. trucks. It was installed to help the driver watch his/her blind-spot.
It also makes for a wonderful easy-access panel when you lose your keys, to get into your truck (Don't ask).

It's not hard to install one for the replica. I've seen several done & they look really nice.

- RCT
Don't laugh, I had a truck last winter that would self lock the drivers door, screw driver to the rescue!
Cheers. Neil.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:21 AM
Wannabe

Gave the rear fenders an initial protective gloss coat today, and got a couple of snaps in sunlight. Once the body is done, i'll give them all a proper equal gloss then polish and wax.

They're still hard to photograph to show the depth of colour properly.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:19 AM
Wannabe

Have masked up the blue flames on the front end, so will spray the exposed blue silver again ready for the orange-red fade. I've also added in a the window in the right door, but have glued in a small raised frame, so need to wait for that to dry for a bit before i can spray the front end.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Journeyman

Bigrigger is on a distinguished road

Looking fantastic as usual, Bob! Loving this build, you are the master masker!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Wannabe

Seriously, i AM cursed when it comes to painting this truck!

Just peeled the masking for the front end, and in several places its peeled the blue paint with it
I didnt have the problem with the fenders, so i know its not specific to the tape or blue paint i used. The only thing I can think that I did different was the silver undercoat. On the fenders i used a tamiya flat aluminium, but ran out, so used a tamiya chrome silver instead. Obviously one adhered better than the other.

In the worst spots, the blue has lifted almost like a latex, and taken some of the red/orange with it.

Now i need to work out how to fix it

Not happy

Old 07-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Dang Bob. I feel your pain. If it wasn't for that peeling, it would be perfect. Sorry to see such troubles painting. Unfortunately, I can't offer anything but my condolences. Some days things work out great, other days nothing works out. I had one of those days myself, Monday. Take a break, relax, and try again, once you've calmed yourself down. Persistence will be rewarded.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Wannabe

Yeah i'm happy with the colouring (finally), just that !@#$%&^ peeling!

I think i'll have to sand down all the blue to primer and fill where necessary to remove the flame contours. Then respray the silver base, and red-orange fade.

The red/orange will need a clear sealant, and once thats cured, i'll re-mask the flames in negative, and spray the blue again as the top layer, so i dont have to apply any tape over it.

Running out of that red too, and its **** hard to get.

*sigh*
Old 07-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Journeyman

tracksntreadslou is on a distinguished road

Hang in there Bob .Im sure your efforts are all going to pay off someday soon ..Unbeleiveable how much patients it takes to build somethings like this from start to finish..i walked away from my builds a few times ..Between you and Dwayne these cool transformer trucks are Keeping us well entertained ..We need a LIKE button .lol
Are you using the newer water based colors ?..My buddy used used to do custom harleys and used House of Kolors ..expensive but awsome results
Old 07-25-2013, 07:31 PM
Journeyman

Radio Control Trucker is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Movie Optimus Prime build

Don't worry Bob, just take a break (but don't break the truck ) Then go back and see if you can sand and touch up. If not you could always repaint the whole cab, it's a pain in the @$$ but at least it would be just what you want. My mother always said that if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right!

You truck is fantastic. Don't let a small set back stop you from making it a masterpiece of the forum.

- RCT

"Keep the Shiny-side Up, the Dirty-side Down & Keep 'er to the Line."
Old 07-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

BRICKNICK is on a distinguished road

Omg I feel like I'm gonna be sick, I can only imagine how long it took you to get that amazing result. Only to be ruined by the final step. Don't worry Bob, that's my luck too buddy. You'll get her done eventually. Just walk away take a break and kool off, or you wind up throwing things like me LOL. Your doing great man, keep at her.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:10 AM
Wannabe

Yeah when I saw the blue lift up my heart just sunk. All that work shot to sh!t.
Its because of the silver, looking under the peeled blue, its silver. So the blue did adhere to the silver, but the silver has lifted from the primer.

It also means the same might happen to the red if I put tape over that. Need to see how much of it I can save, dont have enough red left to do it again.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:35 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

keep at it bob you will get it sooner or later....not to be disrespectful because you are doing an awesome job so far but thats one of the reasons i left the paint on mine to my friend who is way better than me at it .it doesn't look complicated in pictures but it is and was even for my friend that did it.that would frustrate me to no end as many times you have had grief with the paint ,like the others said ..step back take a breather and start again with a cooler head