RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:33 AM
Apprentice

TheBennyB is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Soviet ZiS 150 cab and bed

Mine we're ordered at the same time and delivered and different schedules as well. Hold on for anther week or 2 till busting balls. Mike, did your bed come built or as a kit? They label the bed as prebuilt only and that's how mine came. Wonder why?

Last edited by TheBennyB; 07-30-2017 at 01:41 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:57 AM

sassgrunt is on a distinguished road

Yeah Bret; mine came pre-built as well. You know, I was looking at it today and had either a great idea or a brain fart. The bed measures about 12" long by 8" wide, and I was thinking that by splicing two of them together, it might make a nice 24" stake bed trailer for a fifth wheel tractor to tow. My first thought was that a Tamiya flatbed trailer would provide the best frame, but am now thinking that if it's a 1950's era rig, it probably ought to have only a single axle. I'll look at it more carefully tomorrow, and see if I can scrounge together enough parts to see if it'll be worthwhile, (BEFORE I order another bed and get committed to it)!

Last edited by sassgrunt; 07-30-2017 at 02:59 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:11 PM
Green Horn

Panther F is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassgrunt View Post
I also ordered a set of King Kong's tires that are meant to fit the Tamiya rims. These look like the uni-directional military tires, but I really don't know what to do to modify the Tamiya rims to NOT look like modern ones. And, I haven't seen any aftermarket replacement wheels that look like they're from the 40's or 50's.
Mike... I checked out some printed rims on Shapeways that looked like they were from a few generations back listed under 1/14 Tamiya. Didn't save the link or the seller but just a thought to pass on to you.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:17 PM
Green Horn

Panther F is on a distinguished road

OH! I did save it : https://www.shapeways.com/product/DW...ionId=40164830

Those look like what you want? I wouldn't know one rim from another.

Last edited by Panther F; 07-30-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:12 PM

Wow! Those are really nice Jeff - thank you for the link. I've bought some tank parts from them, but never thought to look for anything truck-related. I had been thinking about using metal Dayton wheels, but these plastic ones from Shapeways are a little cheaper. And, I'm sure that they're strong enough for an on-road truck. Thank you again.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:17 PM

Snipah is on a distinguished road

I ordered both together and they arrived together... Was really quick from Hong Kong to New Zealand.. Postage was included for each so no savings combining.

3D artists out there you need to make more Wheel options... ~nods~
Or we need a sticky post with links like Panther F posted :-)
Old 08-04-2017, 07:19 PM

I'm getting more frustrated by the day with the Post Office. I ordered both of them at the same time, and the bed got here from Germany in about a week. Tracking info shows that the cab got to Honolulu at the same time, but was then re-routed to Guam a week later. Was re-routed back to Honolulu four days later, and then got sent to San Francisco the same day. Customer service tells me that since San Francisco is an international processing facility, it's probably on it's way back to Germany. They do not have any info on whether the address is illegible, or what else might be the problem. I'll have to message King Kong RC and tell them to be on the lookout for it, I guess.

Also, I did order 10 sets of their uni-directional tires for the Tamiya rims, which got here from Hong Kong in four days. VERY nice tires; they fit the rims well; and they have the look I want. I wish manufacturing companies didn't feel the need to imprint their logo on both sides of the tire; as I'd like the option of having one side appear plain, (same thing with RC4WD tires).
Old 08-16-2017, 05:02 PM

Well, my cab FINALLY came in, (nearly a month after the bed got here)! It has truly been a world traveler: Germany; New York; Hawaii; Guam; back to Hawaii; San Francisco; back to Hawaii, and finally to me.

I like the fact that it's a hard body, although the parts are really thick. On the one hand, that makes it kind of "clunky" while on the other hand; it will be really difficult to damage in use. I am still leaning towards a tractor-trailer version.

Thank you again for starting this thread, Bret. It is a nice diversion from the more-common Tamiya & Wedico starting points. And Jack - you are doing a great job on your bed and painting!
Old 08-16-2017, 05:16 PM
Journeyman

Mikem is on a distinguished road

Still on the fence about this yes or no
Old 08-27-2017, 12:56 AM

Well, I decided to build mine as a tractor-trailer, (which the rear of the instruction booklet tells me is a Zis-120N), and have started on it.

The parts do fit together well. The only problems I have encountered is that the doors don't align in their recesses very well when closed. To "adjust" them, I heated the very thick pivot arms with a candle, and then held the door closed until it cooled down - perfect fit now. The other problem I found was my own fault - the hinge rod for the hood sides didn't go very far into the cab and radiator. So, I drilled them out a little deeper, and replaced the hinge rod with longer 2mm rod. Now it inserts far enough that I won't worry about it ever vibrating out.

If you haven't seen Captain Jack's build in the 4x4 section, it is a work of art, and I hope I can paint mine even HALF as well!
Old 08-27-2017, 08:51 AM
Journeyman

kaptain Jack is on a distinguished road

Sassgrunt, thank you for the complement.
I'm sure you will do amazing job and I can't wait to see pictures of your progress.
Jack
Old 09-22-2017, 12:09 PM

razvan nicola is on a distinguished road

Question: what chassis would be most fittable for use with this cab in order to obtain a scalish finished product? Would the WlToys 12428 chassis with the proper adaptations be the solution for that job? Would this chassis support the dually rear wheels mod?
Thanks in advance,
Razvan Nicola
Old 09-22-2017, 12:41 PM

Mikhai is on a distinguished road

Test drive a truck "ZIS-150" ("ЗИС-150").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=h5DkWQV4ZfA
Old 09-22-2017, 01:47 PM
Journeyman

kaptain Jack is on a distinguished road

Cool, looks just like mine....