RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:56 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road
Default Just Another Peterbilt

Well, it's been a long time since I have had a project and even longer since I had something Tamiya, well this is close to being a Tamiya.

I want to build a Peterbilt that is a similar to this truck. Heavy spec, sleeper truck.

I have a start but it's just a weak start. Grand Hauler frame rails, Rigid RC axles, transmission and fifth wheel. Lesu suspension and cross members. Tekin 55T motor and FXR speed control. Everything you see is metal (expect the 1/4 fenders), I need so much more and parts are never cheap so this build will take me some time to do. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by Claus; 03-28-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Just Another Peterbilt......Half Breed.

That's great news Craig ! missed ya bud, I remember when I first found this forum and saw the jaw dropping work you did on hill billy .
The new build is looking great so far and can't wait to see it come together.

Not going to be a dump truck? ....you know you want to. . Lol
Old 05-05-2016, 06:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Default Re: Just Another Peterbilt

Thanks Mario, you're much too kind!

Last edited by Claus; 04-01-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Nice start! Now where's the rest? Hurry up!
Old 05-05-2016, 07:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW!!!
your going to go broke with all those trailer axles and tires
what are your thoughts on that lesu suspension ??
Old 05-05-2016, 07:25 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigford View Post
WOW!!!
your going to go broke with all those trailer axles and tires
what are your thoughts on that lesu suspension ??
Whoops, I have no interest in the Flowboy, just the tractor. The rear suspension is very nice. I have a similar setup on my Wedico made by Scale Art and in my opinion the Lesu is better made.

Also, incase I wasn't clear this baby is going to be AWD.

Last edited by Claus; 04-01-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I can't stop looking at these axles, very scale looking!

Also dropped the transmission down for better angle on the driveshafts.

Last edited by Claus; 04-01-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:44 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

Those axles are very nice looking, and, they seem durable as well. Looking forward to see the rest of the build

Construction site on Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures on Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:47 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I just got a set of these axles last week. The housings are very nice! I could be wrong but they also appear to have a slightly lower gear ratio too. The suspension I got with my set uses plastic end links on the rear and they look a little flimsy compared to yours. Are you going to hook up the lockers? I was thinking since I only run on dirt that I may just "wire" them in the lock position on the rear and either leave the front open or maybe hook a servo to it to lock it when going straight. I've never used a driven front axle before so I'm not really sure what to expect.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:19 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
I just got a set of these axles last week. The housings are very nice! I could be wrong but they also appear to have a slightly lower gear ratio too. The suspension I got with my set uses plastic end links on the rear and they look a little flimsy compared to yours. Are you going to hook up the lockers? I was thinking since I only run on dirt that I may just "wire" them in the lock position on the rear and either leave the front open or maybe hook a servo to it to lock it when going straight. I've never used a driven front axle before so I'm not really sure what to expect.
They do have a lower gear ratio. If you have a spare channel on your receiver, I strongly suggest you install a servo to operate the locks.

Construction site on Facebook:

Pictures on Instagram:
Old 05-06-2016, 09:52 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Claus very nice work and a very nice choice of parts this will be an exceptional build. Ed
Old 05-06-2016, 10:25 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post

Hello Reg,

My Wedioc Peterbilt has Scale Art 3:1 locking diffs and is 8X8, I have never locked those diffs or set up a servo to do it as the trucks doesn't get run much and has never left the house. This truck will probably end up with much the same life. I do think the driven front axle is probably better than locking the rears anyways.

As for the rear suspension kit, there are a lot of leaf kits to choose from now a days. I chose this one because of the way the top links mount ti the diffs but when I assembled it I realized I like it for much more than just that. The bolsters are very strong and heavy looking and there is a nice rear H section that replaces that goofy looking member Tamiya uses but what really got my attention was each link has a pin that goes through the ball socket, each pin has two holes in it that get bolted (anchored) down. On my Wedico with Scale Art suspension a simple screw is used instead of the pin. Seems more sloppy to me and thing tend to work loose on that kit. Also yes, these links are all metal no plastic ends, same with my Scale Art kits.

This is what I'm talking about....

VS. this....

Last edited by Claus; 04-01-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:26 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMER View Post
Claus very nice work and a very nice choice of parts this will be an exceptional build. Ed

Thanks Ed!!

Last edited by Claus; 04-01-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:54 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Yes I am interested to see how much difference the driven front axle makes. Currently I have both rears locked with hot glue in two of my trucks and one locked in another. The truck with only the one axle locked(yellow KH) is constantly getting stuck it seems.lol I don't really notice the lack of steering circle on the dump trucks but when I use the one truck to demo the trailers I build the lack of steering while locked is noticeable. Even with both axles locked the truck won't pull the grades on my roads with a trailer in tow(empty or loaded). I am hoping the front axle pulling will help! I haven't assembled the suspension I got yet but it is the older style with the less detailed X member. Definitely not as visually appealing as what you have but it will do. I like the style of the forward rear axle. Very similar design to the axles I made for my big KW only much nicer.lol
Old 05-06-2016, 03:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

@Claus: The pin through the bushing with 2 bolts through it is a typical 1:1 setup and that's the first I've seen it in 1/14 scale, very nice!

@RCP57 Since you run "off road" the driven front axle is almost a must. My 6x6 quarry dump truck has all three axle locked and does very good to the point I go looking for stupid stuff to get stuck in! 2 things I have found playing around with drive systems:
1) Having the right tires, I have the same tires that Craig has in the picture Above and they are great off road, excellent flotation and traction.
2) A good working suspension, I added leafs to the front suspension so it doesn't bottom out and lock up and built my own rear for maximum articulation to keep equal weight and all tires on the ground getting traction. I would like to Craig suspensions articulation, it looks good.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:31 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
@Claus: The pin through the bushing with 2 bolts through it is a typical 1:1 setup and that's the first I've seen it in 1/14 scale, very nice!

@RCP57 Since you run "off road" the driven front axle is almost a must. My 6x6 quarry dump truck has all three axle locked and does very good to the point I go looking for stupid stuff to get stuck in! 2 things I have found playing around with drive systems:
1) Having the right tires, I have the same tires that Craig has in the picture Above and they are great off road, excellent flotation and traction.
2) A good working suspension, I added leafs to the front suspension so it doesn't bottom out and lock up and built my own rear for maximum articulation to keep equal weight and all tires on the ground getting traction. I would like to Craig suspensions articulation, it looks good.

Very aware of the pins and bolts being prototypical but thank you. I will do some articulation photos when I get wheels, saving up for some of Steve's wheels!

Old 05-06-2016, 03:49 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus View Post
Very aware of the pins and bolts being prototypical but thank you. I will do some articulation photos when I get wheels, saving up for some of Steve's wheels!
Sorry guess I read that wrong. Does the axle affixed vee rod mount come from LESU also? How much modification needs to be done to the axle to attach it?
Old 05-06-2016, 03:56 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Sorry guess I read that wrong. Does the axle affixed vee rod mount come from LESU also? How much modification needs to be done to the axle to attach it?

Yes, those links and all parts are included in the kit. No modifying to anything, it all bolts together like it came from the factory in one big kit.

If you are looking to buy one of these kits pay close attention to the photos of each kit. There are a lot of different kits out there and they all have some differences in links, etc.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:08 AM
Journeyman

plow jockey is on a distinguished road

Excellent job. Glad to see ya back at it.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:05 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

New Truck, Old Truck,

Last edited by Claus; 04-01-2018 at 11:29 AM.