RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:50 PM
Green Horn

heavy_duty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kenworth T880-Aluminum cab

That truck looks incredible. It looks rugged and ready for whatever you can throw at it.Keep it going and I cant wait to see more.

ED
Old 12-23-2014, 09:32 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWT880wayne View Post
I currently drive a 2015 KW T880 dump truck and come across your pictures while I was online. What would it take to have a complete cab and all built or even a complete truck? That's if your even considering building these for people. And if so what about the dump boxes? I would like to have a replica of my current work truck built. I could even supply all kinds of pictures.

This truck your building looks fantastic!

Wayne
Well I certainly could use some more pictures!lol Especially of the fenders. I have only seen one of these trucks locally but I've never got a good look at it. It hauls fuel around to gas stations at night and is locked in a compound during the day. It is also nearly a two hour drive from my house so seeing it up close in person hasn't been an option. I wish that it was because I really need to see it up close with my own eyes in order to fix all the screw ups on my cab. The truth is I don't really know if I am close or way off. It is hard to tell from internet photos. I don't think I would ever try to produce anything like this as a regular sales item. For one, I don't think it is good enough(yet) and the amount of hours in it already would make it too costly(I think). If I get this one right and someone wanted it, I would probably sell it though.

I appreciate the kind words also Wayne and would like to see pictures of your truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_duty View Post
That truck looks incredible. It looks rugged and ready for whatever you can throw at it.Keep it going and I cant wait to see more.

ED
Well thanks to reading both of your comments, I put this back on the bench this afternoon after I finished a customer project. I didn't get a lot done but I did manage to weld in a cab mount right behind the grill and get started on the flatdeck. My original plan was to make this a tri-drive but the more I look at it the less I like that idea. What do all of you think? I guess It's appearance will change a little once I make tanks and other details but I think the tri axle makes it look short even though it isn't.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts...

Thanks for looking!
Old 12-23-2014, 10:52 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Definently looks better as a tri-drive. But as you said fuel tanks and battery box or tool boxes might change that. It just looks like if you put any weight on a similar 1:1 you'd over load the front axle in a heart beat.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Hi Reg that turned out real nice. You should have made a wood mold and you could have turned the cab out real quick. I had a friend that hit the corner of his bunk and he made a wood mold from the other side and when he banged it out you never knew anything happened.Ed
Old 12-25-2014, 08:19 AM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

Rcp57 - wow you have come a long way (I've been away from the board alot lately)
there are several versions of this nose out there. This edgy rugged look that we like is hard to find. Ones with softer lines and more rounded head lights are more popular. And the Internet adds were mostly computer generated. So it's really difficult to say the least.

Either way your cab looks fantastic. You captured the essence of that rugged look.

For a tanker tri-drive
for a flat bed standard is my 2 cents

But do what ya like. If she runs short hauls then simple step tanks are most likely on 1:1s I would think.

BTW still jealous of your aluminum skills.....
Old 12-25-2014, 10:45 AM
Wannabe

RCTech9 is on a distinguished road

I vote Tri-Drive!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:32 PM
Green Horn

petermoblin is on a distinguished road

Tandem with a tag axle would really look sharp and be more realistic. The truck is really coming along nicely.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:18 PM
Apprentice

cabs is on a distinguished road

I vote for a pusher
Old 12-25-2014, 03:55 PM
Green Horn

Trucker_Jo is on a distinguished road

I vote...

Old 12-30-2014, 09:20 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks for all the opinions guys. I'm still undecided but I do have just enough alloy wheels for 3 drive axles and the steer axle so I'm leaning toward tri-drive.

Izzy, you are right. There just aren't many of these trucks around. I'm not sure if it is the economy and no one is buying new trucks or if Kenworth is losing popularity(at least in this area)? The only new trucks I see here are Western Star. Lots of new WS tri-drive logging trucks and a few dump trucks around here lately but not much else. I don't know whether people around here like the Western Star more or if their pricing/service is better than the other brands. I appreciate the compliment also Izzy. Thank you.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:18 PM
Apprentice

speedy8305 is on a distinguished road

Well RCP it depends where you are @ the reason I say that is because Western Star is manufactured in Canada if i'm not mistaken they aren't cheap trucks however it is said that the best steel comes out of Canada and since they are made from Canadian steel they are very rugged trucks
Old 12-31-2014, 07:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I am sure the Canadian made thing has something to do with it. There may even be some government incentives or something for buying a Canadian product and "stimulating" our economy. In my opinion they are nice looking trucks but that's about as much as I know about them.lol There are several dealers on the Island here too which I'm sure makes a difference as well.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:40 PM

Nhrafan is on a distinguished road

Reg tri-drive logger would be pretty sweet !!!!!
Old 01-01-2015, 05:50 PM
Wannabe

bigpipespete is on a distinguished road

Western Star hasnt made a truck here in Canada in over a decade if im not mistaken. I toured the Kelowna plant almost 20 years ago and i think it moved within 5 or so years after.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

According to Winky they moved in 02 to Portland Oregon. I didn't know that...not that I know much about trucks at all really...Thanks for pointing that out Mike. Now we can get back to this being a KW thread!lol
Old 01-02-2015, 10:38 PM
Apprentice

speedy8305 is on a distinguished road

Yea back to the KW post lol