RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Green Horn

chaseracer is on a distinguished road
Default my first semi build (dump)

some of you would have see this thread on scale 4x4, or crawl canada, but thought I would repost it here.

I have always been interested in anything construction and heavy equipment, been around it my whole life and operating heavy equiment is also my career. as big as my passion is for it in the real world. I find most on my time on the internet is spend looking at crawl canada, or scale rc construction equipment. so I have decided to start my first scale construction build. it will be a Tandem Dump truck.

the base for my build will be a Tamiya King hauler.
here is goes
my first semi kit

cut the sleeper off of the cab, to make it a day cab and so the dump box will fit.

now it is on to making the box. I drew up a couple ideas picked one and started cutting styrene and wood to make the box. basic shape with no detail. sorry the pic a bit blury using phone to take pics.

if you noticed the staples they are to hold the two sheet of styrene to the wood spacer between the sheets
this makes my box side thicker and stronger but less weight then using many layers of styrene or metal. and will also alow me to add depth and detail to box sides.

now there are many box makes and type but I like the western style box, with horizontal ribs instead of vertical lines. so here I go cutting and shaping.

cut out sections for depth and add to give angle, shape and detail.

one side taking shape hopefully I can repeat for the other side

let see how is looks with the truck.

pretty happy with it so far with my limited skills.
really excited about building this one. my time is limited in the shop right now so this may take a while so be patient for updated.
thanks for looking
Old 09-17-2010, 10:42 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: my first semi build (dump)

Jason. Looks real good. There's a lot of great work that's gone into the build. Keep it up and you'll be haulin dirt real soon. Lou said you were doing a screw drive for the box and there is a seperate thread here for it on RC T&C.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:40 AM
Dozer Builder

td9clyde will become famous soon enoughtd9clyde will become famous soon enough

Looks great !!!! I have a question are those staples??? I have never worked with the sterlyn stuff alot now will those be pulled out then fill the holes or do you counter sink them and leave them in??and cover them with what kind of stuff??? like bondo or what ??? just curious looks good though guess i am just tryin to get a idea on the sterlin stuff or how ever you spell it lol
Old 09-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by td9clyde View Post
Looks great !!!! I have a question are those staples??? I have never worked with the sterlyn stuff alot now will those be pulled out then fill the holes or do you counter sink them and leave them in??and cover them with what kind of stuff??? like bondo or what ??? just curious looks good though guess i am just tryin to get a idea on the sterlin stuff or how ever you spell it lol
most of the staples will be pulled, they are holding everything together for now, now that the ribbed shape is done I plan to add a super thin skin of styerene to outside that will cover the couple staples that will stay , than I will do the rest to the shaping with filler. to give the seam a welded look. I hope

it is all trial and error for me I waste allot of styerne, good thing I get it cheap
Old 09-20-2010, 09:31 PM

dirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura aboutdirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura about

Nice work, did you this fashion this off of the Oxford dump bed? Looks just like it.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:34 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

Looks good man! Keep us posted.

Brian
Old 09-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Green Horn

not much new to post, bit frustrated. been working on lift system, based on a screw drive type setup, with a sliding block between two rails with a rod attached to it and the box. I tried pushing and pulling on the block. but the box will not lift, it just binds up, feels like it wants to rip the box off, unless I lift the box up a inch and it goes up no problem, can't figure out what the problem is?
Old 09-22-2010, 12:47 AM
Journeyman

If your mounting point on the slider block and the dump box are on the same plane or level you are right it would never lift. You'll have to pick a spot on the slider that is as low as you can mount the push rod. The same goes for the dump box mount. Try to get mount as close as posible to the floor of the box, maybe even build up the box frame. That way it won't try to push strait out, but will have some angle for leverage to start the lift.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:22 AM
Losiassociated

Nice build keep it coming and us posted
Old 09-24-2010, 01:41 PM

wayne9428 is on a distinguished road

I was wonder if you had a youtube account/ page and do a how to for us novice because I would like to build or modify a dump truck someday
Old 09-24-2010, 11:41 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

That is a great looking dump box! Never considered using wood as a build material (even if just filler) for a box, but it's working really well for you and I can definitely see it being strong enough, light enough, and easy to work with. That's some good thinking.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:08 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne9428 View Post
I was wonder if you had a youtube account/ page and do a how to for us novice because I would like to build or modify a dump truck someday
no I do not have a youtube account, and I am a novice too, I am figuring it out as I go, so follow along and see what happens, and search around the guys on these forums are awesome. you will learn alott.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
That is a great looking dump box! Never considered using wood as a build material (even if just filler) for a box, but it's working really well for you and I can definitely see it being strong enough, light enough, and easy to work with. That's some good thinking.
thanks. well wood was what I had on hand to build with. so I said why not. if it doesn't work I will try something else.

been working a bit on the truck tonight, will have a update soon.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:50 PM

Texasperry is on a distinguished road

Caseracer. Nice work. I have a dump in my que so to speak.
But I wanted top say I agreee with you. I have always liked my models to look as if they were in the real world. That is why the racing did not stay in my blood. Same with helicopters. The scale stuff was too expensive when I crashed.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Green Horn

well guys no updates, I have been working crazy hours and then get family time only leaves time to sleep and look at the forum. but been busy with ideas so I can work when I do get time.

I want to make this truck look different then the standard KH, and make it my favorite make of truck Autocar, I want to make my cab look similar to a autocar A64b. like the one my Dad drove when I was just a little kid back in Nova Scotia.

I don't have any pictures of his old truck, but the are lot on the net. my only problem is round fender or square.

here is 2 1/24 scale model kits. not my own ( pulled from google)

I really like the round look but the square was used more of construction applcation, and is easier to do. I will also have to move the front axle back to get the autocar nose look

what to you guys think round or square?
Old 11-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Journeyman

RCLogger will become famous soon enough

I like the square look as it reminds me of the Kenworth LW... Nice project to keep you out of trouble for the winter.. lol

greg
Old 11-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

I say square fender, and it's awesome that you are thinking of building this into an Auto-car model. They are good old fashion work horses. Don't see many around these days. That model reminds me of the Auto-car dump truck, from the Die Hard movie, when Bruce Willis is driving it through the underground tunnel, flooding with water.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:07 AM
Journeyman

I'm a real fan of the old iron myself. The Autocar was a real workhorse and built as tough as they come. I remember riding lots of miles in one and they rode real rough. My favourite is the square fender one as it was the construction version and the round fenders were the supposed highway version. I think they were both used either way. Looking forward to more of the build. How's the screw drive coming along
Rob
Old 11-02-2010, 02:22 PM

mog is on a distinguished road

i am more of a fan of squar my self but i like big lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: my first semi build (dump)

You have done a real nice job so far keep it up. Ed
Old 11-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Journeyman

Bigrigger is on a distinguished road

I like the square kind better. For your first truck, you certainly are good with styrene! Keep it up!