RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:47 PM

cyanide is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kenworth 850 Off Highway

Looks really good. I like it, can't wait to see it on axles.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:59 AM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

Reg, those small clamps you use, where do you get it from? have never seen something like that before, looks handy. Do they have good grip?

Fully agree that forum like this can help and encurrage modeller to do more and new things. Have also got good help from other´s here. Funny about your friend from Denmark, guess there ain´t any of these KW arounf there!

Thanks for sharing
Dan
Old 01-21-2013, 03:44 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by D8R View Post
Reg, those small clamps you use, where do you get it from? have never seen something like that before, looks handy. Do they have good grip?

Fully agree that forum like this can help and encurrage modeller to do more and new things. Have also got good help from other´s here. Funny about your friend from Denmark, guess there ain´t any of these KW arounf there!

Thanks for sharing
Dan
The clamps are from these guys here. Mine came from a local tool store so I'm sure that you could buy them local as well. Anywhere that carries autobody stuff will probably have them. They do have a lot of grip for what they are just don't get them too hot or they warp. Oh and don't forget to buy the pliers to open them...

http://search.eastwood.com/search?p=...core&view=grid

It is quite interesting that someone from the other side of the pond would have such an interest in Canadian logging equipment. He has travelled here several times to attend shows and photograph equipment(mostly off highway trucks). He is also a model builder but in 1/87 scale. I find it crazy that this hobby has introduced me(verbally) to people all over the world in places I will never see. Pretty cool!

Reg
Old 01-21-2013, 05:30 AM

Acadieman is on a distinguished road

Nice work!
I really like the forestry trucks used in the West.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:54 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Well I feel like I just had one of those moments when everything you were worried about came together just fine. Kinda like every episode of The "A" Team! It's a bit more difficult for me without being able to weld things together as I go but scotch tape is doing it's best to hold things together for now. Anyway my happiness comes from forming the hood in one piece in one shot. I don't have any tools for rolling so it was just me, my 6" vice, two pieces of 1/2" pipe and a plastic hammer. I think it turned out OK and it's starting to look like a KW.

Thanks for lookin...

Reg
Old 01-21-2013, 06:54 PM
Journeyman

RCLogger will become famous soon enough

Looking good Reg

Thanks for the posts.

greg
Old 01-21-2013, 08:26 PM
Green Horn

chaseracer is on a distinguished road

Body coming together nicely .... Gifted hands beautiful work !!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 05:08 AM

Exile Trucking is on a distinguished road

I think the hood looks better then ok. Wish I had some of the metal working skills you have.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:22 AM

cyanide is on a distinguished road

The hood looks great! My mate almost always has troubles with his hoods, for me it is shaping roofs that in my nemesis. Sometimes first attempt works, sometime it takes 3 or 4 attempts.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks guys! I spent the whole day in town today running errands so I didn't get any work done on the KW but I was able to find a bottle of Argon so I can get back at it tomorrow. Locally there is some sort of bottle shortage in the 9 and 15 liter sizes so the distrubutors aren't being supplied with full ones. Today was this weeks delivery day on the south island and I was able to phone around and locate just 1 bottle of Argon. Luckily enough the truck had just arrived at the last place I could get one from so I was able to pick up the only bottle they received for the week. I don't really understand how there can be a shortage of empties but appearently the company that fills them sent most of them to Alberta leaving the outlets with a very limited supply for the last few weeks. It sucks for them as they have no gas to sell and a bunch of unhappy customers.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I replaced the scotch tape with welds on the body parts and got started on the front suspension. My fiance came out to the garage to talk to me about wedding plans so I put her to work steadying the frame while it was held loosely in the vice. She did a great job and sarcastically insisted that I gave her due credit on the forum here. Anyway getting her to help gave me a couple minutes more with no wedding talk.lol

Thanks for lookin!

Old 01-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Green Horn

buzzy16 is on a distinguished road

Truck is looking good, I really like the shape of it.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

Looking great!!! You'll beable to ride it around once its done. Looks like it should be sturdy and dependable
Old 01-24-2013, 08:37 AM
Journeyman

sparkycuda is on a distinguished road

Wow! Can't get over the quality of the metal work. Being able to weld aluminum is a great plus, especially when done by such a skilled craftsman. The truck looks great.

Ken
Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

This build is awesome. I admire your metal fab skills, and wish I had this kind of talent! I can kind of machine parts with a manual mill, but I don't think I could scratchbuild a cab out of aluminum, and weld it together! The hood looks really good on there, and I like your spring hangers for the front axle. This truck is going to be a beast! I like that it's in 1/10 scale too. It's got to be huge! It will match really well with your skidder. You probably have a lowboy in the works, even if it's just an idea in your head, so the skidder can be hauled around with this truck, right?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:32 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks very much guys. It's coming together quickly and it's also becoming my second favorite build. Actually I don't know if it's really coming together quickly as I've spent somewhere between 50-60 hours on it so far... I do have a plan in mind to build a lowboy for it as well as a logging trailer. I don't have the tires needed to build any trailers yet though so it may be a while. I managed to pick up 6 of the 10 truck tires used so I'm hoping that I can do the same for the trailers(hint hint). Buying 16 more at the local hobby shop would be nearly $300 plus they don't have them anyway. I was out in the shop this morning long before breakfast. I gained a little headway on the front suspension and axle. I had just enough 1/2" banding to make the front springs so I need to find some more before I can do the rear. My goal is to have the front end finished by the end of the weekend so that I can start swearing at myself while trying to make the rear diffs.

As always, Thanks for taking the time to look!
Reg
Old 01-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Journeyman

tracksntreadslou is on a distinguished road

wow Reg your moving right along ..A beast for sure .I like the way the front hubs turned out ..very difficult to make and i had trouble with mine ...took a few times..Once the lugs are nuts are on that will give it the finishng touch ...Good work Buddy
Old 01-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

It took me most of the day but I almost have steering...well at least the two wheels are connected! The pieces aren't all that pretty but it should be strong once it's all put together properly. I don't know how many times I moved the pieces in the vice and changed the tooling but I'm happy that it's almost done and they don't look like square blocks any more.

Reg
Old 01-25-2013, 05:52 PM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

Nice!! They dont look too bad. I think they look good!
Old 01-26-2013, 03:48 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

you show off now I gotta remake my mack front axle JK GRRRRRRATE job Reg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.