RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First build ,cat D11

Ok this is what I've come up with.

Originally I wanted to use these seals, little more robust, a little better sealing. But,,,,, the od is just slightly larger than the id of my tube. And they are just too big to be squeezing into a 1/4" shaft hole. (Id is .25, od is 1/2") things got more complex and seeing what others use I'm going to go with the o-rings and one x-ring for the seal.

The tube is necked down just so I have more allowance for bolt pattern for the cap. Piston has three rings, bolted with m4 screw. The rod seals are internal but the three are what go inside. Trying to have the last oring close to end to act as much as a dust seal/wiper.

This is cylinder top. This is just a mock (f-up) up of what will be made. The shaft hole is too large, I'm using 1/4" shaft and making the passage hole .30. So a couple hundredths of clearance. Does this look, sound, seam, like it will work? The rings will be loaded, squeezed into the groves when shaft is installed making the right seal. I don't know what to expect as I'm not familiar with these pressures or anything whatsoever with hydraulics. I did test one on a blind hole with some coolant and about standing on it when seal let loose and shot coolant to ceiling. I'm thinking that should be good for 100-150 psi? It's a dozer so I don't think I need the pressure like an excavator. What bar/psi am I among for ?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Oh and the end of the cylinder with bolt pattern will be drilled and tapped first before being silver soldered to shaft. Little easier to work on a 1/2" piece rather than an 8" piece vertically to drill.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:49 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

.05" is too much IMO . If going .25 ram stay like .2525"-.255" max .I run .0025" on mine. and still feels sloppy .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Ok thanks, pretty close tolerance then. One more question, I know I said 1/4 shafts for the hydraulics but after looking at it and holding it in position in model the 3/8 shafts look better. I can't really find specs for cylinders to compare 1:1 scale. I know I already made pistons and they could be used or new ones made. They are easy. Is it better to have more space in the cylinder or less? I would think less as less oil would be need for lower volume. ??? Love this forum and thanks for the help as this is new for me. I did purchase a 5 valve block and pump from premacon. Don't know how to make one of them. But once I get one then I can redneck reverse engineer it !!lol!,
Old 03-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

.3125" would look more prototypical but the .25" will work . what is your bore ? .375" may be to big . In theory , your only picking up the weight of the blade so your not going to need much volume .

here's a lil calculator I pulled off the net . type in your bore , PSI , and rod dia and that will give you what your cylinder can do for given amount of pressure .
http://www.baumhydraulics.com/calculators/cyl_calc.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:18 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbuilder View Post
.3125" would look more prototypical but the .25" will work . what is your bore ? .375" may be to big . In theory , your only picking up the weight of the blade so your not going to need much volume .

here's a lil calculator I pulled off the net . type in your bore , PSI , and rod dia and that will give you what your cylinder can do for given amount of pressure .
http://www.baumhydraulics.com/calculators/cyl_calc.htm
Thanks, that works out well.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Here is a small portion of the machining work that goes into one part.
Stock cutoff

Lathe work with a four jaw chuck. Making the rotation shaft and a groove for a set screw as a retainer mechanism.

Cutting out the way for hydraulic cylinder and pivot pins. To be honest and probably reflective of a lot of scratch builds this piece was tossed. As once the pin holes were drilled I realized they were going to be too close and no clearance for pivoting of the cylinder. So back to cut, lathe, groove,,,,,

Cutting the pivot blocks

Cutting the angle on bottom

Redneck cad drawling.

Center drilling pilot hole and referencing hole locations

Clearance drilling for 2-56 bolt

Tap drilling for 2-56 bolt. I know most drill smaller through hole first but I didn't want the bit to stray. On such a small drill bit a deep hole can drift off course more easily, so that is why I drilled the clearance hole first.

Using the slitting saw to part off the pivot carrier.

Cleaning up sharp edges and holes

Tapping 2-56 holes

And finally the unprinted part

I know someone wanted to see some of the process so,, all that and double it
Old 03-14-2014, 12:42 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Yeah, thanx Cooper for taking the time to take the pics & post them up... I know how time consuming that in itself can be. How much time clocked to make those two parts?

I made a simple clevis hitch the other day from a block of aluminum... I really got focused at what I was doing & did it all the milling & drilling in one sitting, I'm embarrassed to say how many hrs it took... maybe a mill of your size with its rigidity & digital readouts would have cut the time in half - especially with the use of a slitting saw.

I never heard of a slitting saw or knew of its use in a mill till you mentioned it a few pgs back, what a great tool accessory! I've always used a hacksaw & as hard as I try, never do I even get it unnoticeably crooked.

What spd do you run it at? What's the thickness of that particular blade? And is it specific for cutting aluminum?

99% of the holes I drill/tap are 3mm and I have always drilled once with 2.5mm bit b/c bit wonder for me is indeed a problem to go bigger than 1st hole, especially with aluminum.

Also, the blade in your chop saw, what is that? Does it cut the aluminum bar perpendicular with 99.9% accuracy?

Joe
Old 03-14-2014, 06:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Some pics of the hydra cylinders.

Lil giants , I'll get some info and give ya some answers later tonight.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:44 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Level blade, not worrying about blade carry or dump as it is short amount of travel but it was tested for range of motion and all worked out.

Three inches of blade lift from level

Blade tilt left and right. I m hoping that I can possibly use a aircraft radio mix that will allow limited range of tilt in relation to lift of blade. I think it is possible as it's pretty far tilt from max to max I between cylinders and presses limits of components.

And two inches of digging depth. 1:1 depth is 30" so that's close, (I think)?

Old 03-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Uhh, I just realized they are valves and not the servos that actuate the cylinders. I guess if I had limit sensors it's possible but I'm not going that far. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on how much I tilt and not let Dennis the menus play with it. .
Old 03-14-2014, 07:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Yeah, thanx Cooper for taking the time to take the pics & post them up... I know how time consuming that in itself can be. How much time clocked to make those two parts?

I made a simple clevis hitch the other day from a block of aluminum... I really got focused at what I was doing & did it all the milling & drilling in one sitting, I'm embarrassed to say how many hrs it took... maybe a mill of your size with its rigidity & digital readouts would have cut the time in half - especially with the use of a slitting saw.

I never heard of a slitting saw or knew of its use in a mill till you mentioned it a few pgs back, what a great tool accessory! I've always used a hacksaw & as hard as I try, never do I even get it unnoticeably crooked.

What spd do you run it at? What's the thickness of that particular blade? And is it specific for cutting aluminum?

99% of the holes I drill/tap are 3mm and I have always drilled once with 2.5mm bit b/c bit wonder for me is indeed a problem to go bigger than 1st hole, especially with aluminum.

Also, the blade in your chop saw, what is that? Does it cut the aluminum bar perpendicular with 99.9% accuracy?
Lol, time? Uhhhh,, yea half hour,,,, well all said and done I would think I had about 3hours in them. It wasn't all at once so hard to tell and the second part was about 2/3 less time than the first as I knew what I was doing for the second one.

The slitting saw, my experience is that are somewhat of a mystery to some. I've only used on aluminum. Lots of coolant and definitely not milling speeds. Usually slower speed and slow feed. Lots of coolant. I like to use it for parts as I can make one big part and then have two. Some of those small parts are hard to work. That blade I think was .063? 1/16.

The chop saw is as accurate as the chop table there. The blade is for metal, cuts pretty good. Most metal saws are slow. Using a chop saw is more for abrasive cutting. But you can't abrasive cut alum. Loud dirty mean machine but cuts aluminum stock like butter. Doesn't leave a finish cut but cuts pretty square. Like I said it will cut as square as you can adjust the clamp table to blade. Plan on spending about $80-100 on a blade if you want it to cut. Any carbide tipped circular saw blade will cut aluminum. Trick is in the heat. If it heats up too fast too much it will immediately dull. A dull blade will burn up the saw. Not saying to cut alum with your circular saw but just putting in perspective,,, and this blade is metal specific.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Oh and I broke down and ordered pump, valve block and some fittings from premacon. Was hoping to make my own but first time thing, I need to have one in hand and understand how it works. Pricey little package coming from overseas. Kinda a bitter sweet little box in the mail.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:59 PM
Green Horn

Location: Mount Evelyn/Lilydale Area, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 3796
Kingcam2 is on a distinguished road

Looking good so far Cooper, Can't wait to see some more photo of what you have been working on.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuangs View Post
Hi Cooper,

Can I please ask you to put one more photo of your puppy? I saw it once at your workshop photo...but it always at corner not very clear. Thank you.

Regards,
Kevin
You wanted some doggie pics,, don't let my wife hear that,, she will flood your email!!!! Lol,, the toys are my domain and the dogs are hers.

The Irish wolfhound is almost 4 years, the Great Dane is one year old. And he is a teenager in the worst ways!!!!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:31 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

That's me, Ira and my boy that is no longer with us, Cooper. My name is R.W. Actually, and Cooper was the Danes name.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:29 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Cooper, thanks for sharing all the photos and information of the machining process! Sometimes I think I can learn way more just by seeing how all of you skilled machinists make the parts that you do. It might make me feel like the things I make are kindergarten projects, but hey, I'm okay with that. Seeing your work can give me something to shoot for. Great job on your D11. The pictures of your dogs are very sharp images. Someone must have some good photography skills too, an awesome camera, and some well behaved dogs!
Old 03-17-2014, 09:14 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I'll try and include some more machining processes if ya want. I think I have these hydraulic seals figured out. Trying to figure the tolerances for the x rings so they are compressed some but not too much was a bit of trial n error. This is the lift cylinders done. I still have to install a set screw for the retaining pin on the side of machine. I think I'll do it on the inside so it wouldn't be noticeable.

The lift cylinders and the blade dump cylinders (tilt I guess)

And some extra parts I guess . Had some learning curves. Don't mink with the aluminum but brass starts to get expensive. Not to mention the pile of chips
Old 03-19-2014, 10:36 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Made the air intakes.

Had to throw this one in, every time the mill/lathe stops a cat jumps in my lap!! Tried to shop-vac up his tail but that only worked for a couple days

And made some of the hand rail and hand holds.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:15 AM
Green Horn

ricm is on a distinguished road

great work - looking forward to the finished item!