RC Truck and Construction

RC Truck and Construction (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/index.php)
-   Military Tech. (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Tank issues (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=7516)

dmess62 09-02-2013 12:05 PM

Tank issues

My dad has an old radio shack toy rc Sherman tank he has an issue with it as soon as he turns it on it takes off full speed and there is no control to it. I pulled apart to look for a loose wire or something obvious with it. I'm not good with the electronics but was wondering if someone might have some insight. Keep in mind this is from probably the mid 80's, but I know he would like to get it running properly

Espeefan 09-02-2013 01:20 PM

Re: Tank issues

I'm not sure much is repairable, beyond wires, with the Radio Shack models. Perhaps your dad would be okay buying a really cheap hobby grade radio, and a Sabertooth ESC from Dimension Engineering. It would give him proportional control, instead of the typical on/off throttle and steering. The 5 amp Sabertooth is $59, and you could probably get a radio for about the same. Problem is, does your dad want to spend more then the tank is worth?

Maybe the problem is not so much with the tank, but the Radio Shack radio? Might be worth a shot to take that apart and look for any obvious signs of damage or wear. I've seen the throttle and steering sticks wear through the printed circuit board's copper contact patches, as they rock back and forth to control the model.

Given the tank takes off right away, maybe there is a pinched or shorted wire that is bypassing the speed controllers, inside the tank.

dmess62 09-02-2013 02:56 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yea I took the remote apart as we'll didn't see a whole lot. So I figure it was in the tank. It just had a circuit board with everything soldered to it and wires going to motors. Solders looked good I tried wiggling the wires around. Not sure what the speed controllers would look like with the circuit board. I ll try tearing it apart again.

Espeefan 09-02-2013 03:48 PM

Dave, I guess I said speed controller, although these Radio Shack, and other cheap RC toys most likely do not have speed controllers, but a transistorized switch of sorts that turns the motors on or off, and reverses directions. Chances are if that's the problem, there won't be much you can do to fix it. It's probably a printed circuit board, i.e. throw away part.

jack van 10-20-2013 09:39 PM

well i found something laying around to fix/break and modify lol.got a m1a1 abrams 1/12 scale airsoft equip cannon hehe su:cop:pposed to shoot 75 ft

topher1266 03-25-2014 09:44 PM

You might be better off replacing the guts like turning a static model into RC. Servo City has those small motors and everything to make it work take a look.

Backlash 04-01-2014 09:37 AM

Its probably for drive transistors / FETs that have failed short circuit, and that is causing the motors to run..

If you can solder OK, you could try and just replace the transistors on the PCB, but the trick will be locating them first..

Any chance of posting a pic of the PCB?

dmess62 04-01-2014 11:40 AM

I ll have to get to a computer. At work.