RC Truck and Construction

RC Truck and Construction (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/index.php)
-   Body Shop Tech (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Paint Removal (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=910)

Justinside 11-21-2010 12:04 AM

Paint Removal

I need to totally strip my King Hauler, I goofed on the paint job and want to start from scratch, what can I do?

Thanks

Paul

Tamiya Cowboy 11-21-2010 12:44 AM

Re: Paint Removal

What paint did you use.

Bigrigger 11-21-2010 10:59 AM

I used Tamiya spray paint, and it came off easily with Orange Glo/Goo Gone. Just takes a little elbow grease and some cotton balls.

Justinside 11-22-2010 12:30 AM

I have used Tamiya Paint.

Thanks

Paul

nenard 11-23-2010 12:19 AM

Ive used Easy Off over cleaner in the yellow can. Spray cab leave it in a bucket or plastic bowl. Brush it off after about a hour. Works great.

Bigrigger 11-24-2010 12:15 AM

No problem, good luck on your truck!

civicex5speed 12-11-2010 09:44 AM

I thought I would post this, but I had to strip all the paint from a Train. I used Pinesol, I took a window box (for flowers) and filled the thing with pinesol. Put the train in it. came back the next day and just wiped off the paint to the bare plastic. The plastic was not damaged and had not got soft. I still had all the small details too.

FreddyGearDrive 12-14-2010 11:09 PM

If you git a large plastic container (rubber maid).Just big enough for cab to fit in. Then git your self like 4 or 5 bottles of 92% rubbing alcohol,Stick cab in container,dump bottles over cab & close cover. Let soak for a couple of hrs.Shake container every 15 minutes or so,might have to use tooth brush for tough areas. This is the cats a$$ for Tamiya paint removal.
FGD

RAIDERS 12-15-2010 08:32 PM

Fred that works great with rubbing alcohol it takes the paint right off very easy...

hitachi 12-18-2010 09:50 AM

try using brake fluid to strip paint worked on a friend of mines truck

MACK Daddy 12-18-2010 05:19 PM

Anyone know if any of these chemicals will also remove body filler and such? I have a body with body filler that needs paint removal

Any suggestions?

Alfy

MACK Daddy 12-19-2010 01:26 PM

No thoughts on this?

Alfy

hitachi 12-19-2010 01:39 PM

think the best way to ge rid og body filler is by sanding it down

oldboy 01-02-2011 06:52 PM

I use Easy Lift Off does not damage plasti You get it from a Model Train Shop.
The only thing to remove body filler is sanding and elbowgrease

regards John

fhhhstix 01-18-2011 08:44 PM

I had two pieces to take paint off of so I sprayed both with easy off oven cleaner and it took it off one and didn't touch the other piece. So I tried Freddy's method and used the alcohol and it worked great.

Travis

540-MAN 01-19-2011 09:44 AM

Where would i get 92% rubbing alcohol as i need to strip the paint on mine and start again because on the side of the cab it has bubbled when i painted it with the tamiya spray paint because it must of been dirty when i painted it. It is a fairly new truck and i dont want to damage the plastic.

JAMMER 01-19-2011 10:08 AM

If you are going to use alcohol use denatured alcohol the other has water in it. You can get it at Home Depot, Lowes any home store. Ed

fhhhstix 01-19-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 540-MAN (Post 16613)
Where would i get 92% rubbing alcohol as i need to strip the paint on mine and start again because on the side of the cab it has bubbled when i painted it with the tamiya spray paint because it must of been dirty when i painted it. It is a fairly new truck and i dont want to damage the plastic.

You can go to any drug store to get the alcohol I used 91% since that is all I could find and it worked great. I got mine at CVS.

Travis

FreddyGearDrive 01-20-2011 04:20 AM

I don't know if you have a Rite aid in your neck of the woods. But they carry it,has a red label on it.Get ready for the looks from the cashier when you come up to the counted w/your arms full of bottles. :eek: I always do,probably think I'm cookin drugs or something.
FGD

JAMMER 01-20-2011 09:19 AM

Fred if you went to Lowe or Home Depot you could buy denatured alcohol that doesn't have water in it and it would be cheaper. I buy it by the gallon, Ed