RC Truck and Construction

RC Truck and Construction (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/index.php)
-   Welcome New Members (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Northern Michigan (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=10005)

Don Campbell 02-03-2015 08:48 AM

Northern Michigan

4 Attachment(s)
Hi ,
My name is Don Campbell and I live in Northern Michigan. I built several static models over the years. Most of them were 1/12th scale or larger.
I got several comments over the years why did I build static models?
I met Rick from Garden Trucking several years ago and looked into the cost of making one of my models work. I was very surprised at the cost of all the parts so I just kept building my non working models. But I am still amazed at what I see in RC models. I do have a RC king hauler, the RC 9520 JD 4x4 articulating tractor , and several of the cheap rc dump trucks and loaders.
I just can't get over these incredible working mini machines.
I built my models from scratch , I have no milling machine or lathe so my tools are pretty basic and my work shop is small the size of a one car garage . I am the first to admit my projects are rough around the edges and my welding is rough and my body work and painting is not the best . But one thing is for sure we all share the love for trucks, tractors, and heavy equipment . I still can't afford to build a large RC model but it would sure be cool to see one of my larger models working .

modelman 02-03-2015 10:37 AM

Re: Northern Michigan

Hi don and welcome to the forum-I have watched your model building for many years and was always impressed by your skills working with metal. Mining equipment is my main interest and I always thought your model of the "Silver Spade" would be a great R/C model. Hope you decide to build an R/C model of some kind and I am sure it will be a great pc.

sneff 02-03-2015 11:27 AM

Welcome Don! Always great to see new members.

Don Campbell 02-03-2015 03:20 PM

Thanks,
I know what I do does not really fit here but I registered so I could see all your great projects.

steamer 02-03-2015 03:58 PM

Don, welcome to the forum. For me it was a sad day when you took down your blog! Really miss not being able to be part of your great builds! Welcome aboard and enjoy!!
Rob

RCP57 02-03-2015 04:44 PM

Welcome to the forum and dare I say it's about time! Like most everyone else I have been admiring your work since I became interested in the hobby a few years ago. You are a big influence on someone like myself that enjoys building stuff from scratch. Don't get too discouraged by the price of making these things come to life! There are a lot of people on here that can help make it happen without costing you a body part or loved one whether its with advise or helping make the parts. I hope to see more of your model builds posted here!

Reg

Supermario 02-03-2015 04:51 PM

Welcome to the family Don. I'm a long time subscriber to your channel and admire all you've built. :cool:
How close are you to Sault ste marie?

jack van 02-03-2015 05:39 PM

hi don and welcome to the forum

Don Campbell 02-03-2015 06:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks ,
Like most things , there comes a time for me to shut down my blog. I still share my projects on facebook . The last two years I have taken a break from toy building and built a few projects I can actually drive. I know that doesn't fit here either but it is fun driving some of my stuff. But it is almost like RC toys but I get a free ride at the same time, ha,ha.

Don Campbell 02-03-2015 06:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I came very close to building my first RC Model . It would have been a Cat 994F Wheel Loader similar to this photo. I would have installed garden tractor axles and engine and hydraulics . I would have had to figure out servos, actuators , radio , etc. But I would have had all the mechanics. The collector who ordered it changed his mind. I still would like to build it with RC controls. This really could still be my very first rc loader. I look at the pics a few times a month . I already have a nice small diesel tractor with all the hydraulics too. I would sure ask you guys for your help with all the controls with radio. Your stuff is Amazing !!! Even though I have not built my first rc machine yet doesn't mean I still don't drool over all these awesome mini machines.

Don Campbell 02-03-2015 06:43 PM

We live about one and a half hours from the Soo . We love to camp at the Soo Locks during the summer.

Supermario 02-03-2015 06:59 PM

Perfect! Let me know when your in town and you can come work in my backyard pit :)

Don Campbell 02-03-2015 07:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I built a few larger scale mining shovels that I would have loved to have made into RC . Can you imagine how excited I would have been to see my models actually working.

rc_farmer 02-09-2015 01:32 AM

Welcome to the forum, glad to see you finally made it over here. I have been admiring your work for many years. Miss ya from coming to Indy as well. You have an amazing talent.