View Single Post
Old 03-22-2015, 06:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fifth wheel relocation for traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
Hey guys, I have my day cab Aeromax that I'm using for a heavy hauler. Problem I'm running into is weight distribution. When the lowboy is loaded running on concrete the truck doesn't want to turn. I have the rear most axle locked for running on dirt. I want to keep it locked. I have read somewhere that some have moved the fifth wheel forward. That's what I want to do. I just don't know how far, 1/4" , center it over axles, or just forward of center? Battery is 5000mah under hood and front tires are filled with bb's. I do have a set of locking axles but really didn't want to use them on this if I can help it. That's why I was wondering about getting some weight farther forward. Lowboy is hauling 60+ # excavator. Truck suspension has been upgraded. High turn motor. That's stock tranny for now, upgrades in the works, or when she lets go .
I used to drive an old ford Louisville 1:1 with a wheel base a tad shorter than yours and it wouldn't turn to save itself. With out being able to slide it to its sweet spot I'd go with what bigford said, if you can get it that far with the trailer.