View Single Post
Old 06-05-2015, 08:33 AM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dragline Crawler Build

Wsky,

Ya, I have watched that one as well a bunch of other gear cutting videos. I haven't done it yet, but that is certainly one of my future projects for the mill and the dividing plates on the RT.

Modelman,

If you have other drawings you want to share that would be great! I really wish I had a PC and CAD software and here is the biggie, the knowledge and patients to learn how to use a CAD program.

A lot of the reason I like to post project builds like this one is because it keeps me motivated. Here is the setup I am using to drill the link holes in the pads. They are pinned together with 1/16 brass tube. I had been drilling these holes on the drill press but the chuck is a bit off and I decided to try making a bit holder for a 3/8" collet to put into the mill. I have a R8 drill chuck for the mill but it won't close down small enough for a 1/16" drill. I just turned a piece if aluminum in the lathe and center drilled it 1/16". It us turned down to fit a 3/8" collet which is a common size for me for end mills so I can switch between them without changing the collet. The 1/16 bit is a good slide fit and I glued it in place with CA.

Remember, I am a "noob" machinist so don't be afraid to offer tips or observations on my techniques.

Jim