View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Tires and Wheels for Tractor

Joe, I can't offer to much advice on tires. That will probably be the hardest part of building this model. I will mention, however, that a lot of the guys into rock crawling have sucessfully narrowed up tires for better performance. This might be something to consider, as Tamiya makes the V-treaded ag type tires for their monster trucks. The Clodbuster and TXT-1. I have seen guys cut these tires in half and narrow them up. They basically glue the tire back together and re-enforce the seam from the inside with a thin piece of rubber, like bicycle inner tube. It works very well, but I am not sure what the diameter is of the Clodbuster tires, right off hand. The same guys also narrow the plastic rims, just as easily, so that could be a very affordable option for rims as well. I know the tread doesn't quite match the industerial v-tread you would need, but it's a good stand in. Front tires might be a little harder, but there options out there as well. HPI makes the Wheelie King monster truck, and it uses smaller v-treaded tires, similar to the Tamiya ones. Pro-Line used to make a tire called the Masher and it's about as nice of a tire as you can find for tractors or construction equipment. They aren't available anymore, so it might be a challenge to find them. Not sure on the tire's over all diameter, but the inside rim is 2.2". There are many other 2.2 and 1.9 sized tire options to consider as well. Not many with v-treads, but if you are okay with a 2wd front tire you might be able to find something.