View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017, 03:05 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
Cooper-seems you have the new "cnc gizmo" figured out. Are you making another dozer or making new links for your D11? I know nothing about this modern stuff but have another silly question- wouldn't it make sense to cut the links out of wider stock and not hack up your vise jaws? Keep posting pictures and how about a video of the mill working.
I'm making a set out of alum and then another set from steel. 160 each set. The jaws are just perishable aluminum. I purposely purchased this set up for making parts like these in quantity. I probably have almost $10 in jaws but very little stock on the parts will be wasted. Stock sides are same as part side so just top, and profile cutting, so savings in the long run. I'm sure as I learn a bit more I would prefer to be making a regular fixture that could cut about 20 at a time but then I would have the added cost of stripper bolts, ( not much like a $1 a piece, but wanting 40 or so and also having them for future fixture things) I just decided a simple piece of square stock held and referenced would be simple and repeatable. And my work origin is set to a specific location on one jaw that will never change even if I remove them and replace later. So in some years later I would be able to use same jaws and make new parts very easy and repeatable. But I'm just learning and well, that's what was making sense to me then and now .