Thread: Sterling Dump
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Green Horn

Heavy Metal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sterling Dump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
Nice grille. What did you use to bend the grille after it was cut out?
Blender - I have a little 24" box and pan brake. Just have to finesse the curve into it. Takes some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbuilder View Post
Joe , I got better results slowing the spindle down and a light spray of wd-40 . I know your doing it by way of cnc and I'm in the cave yet by hand but I think the principle would be the same . no ? my issue is getting my big mill going so I can play with it and see how it works with my amateur programing skills BTW , from where I'm sitting , the grill look great
IHSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by will916691 View Post
running at 10,500 rpm that endmill is going to heat up fast you really need some coolant the math for speeds and feeds is tricky it may look good on paper but not work so well in the real world I would try and cut your spindle down and your feed down as well and see what that does for you also some oil to keep your work cool would sure help also how well is you part clamped down? if you tap on it in the center does it sound hollow? did the sound of the cutting change before it snaped? just want to make sure its not a issue with chatter
Will
Steve/Will - Snuck in some time to mill an alum part tonight. Using a .125 flat endmill, slowed down the spindle to 6500, increased the feed to 8IPM and reduced DOC to .02. Cut was looking not-so-clean but not looking like trouble. It was just on the verge of chatter at 10IPM so I think I had everything just about right at 8IPM. I hit it w/ some WD40 and **** if the cut didn't clean right up nice. Rest of the part cut real clean...just hit it w/ some WD40 every now and then. Makes a **** of a mess and doesn't clear away with my cold air chip blower...but sure cleans up the cut. Hoping a mist coolant system will have same effect as the WD40. Ordered one last week. They are pretty cheap. Thanks guys for tips.

Joe