View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Journeyman

rockNmayhem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sealing Hydraulic Cylinders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbuilder View Post
Tyler , on a real 1 : O-rings with backup rings and a wiper seal . For what we do just an o-ring . Real 1's use chrome rods (polished) thats what you want to have . I use 304 L ss from online metals . From the mill it comes very smooth . Another issue could be your piston seals are too tight . Looking at you ram pics , def. too course . I should note , if your cap (gland) is cocked in the slightest way that will make it leak also .
Steve thankyou for the metal link. I'm glad I now have a metal number to go off of. I know how to rebuild a larger cylinder no problem with all the seals and rings but for this size I figured a sealing o-ring and a wiper was all I needed but I will back it down to one.

Do you also think I can still use the U-cup seals in the front or should I just stick with cutting an o-ring grove in the cap and leave it at that?

Also do you thread your caps on? I had the first ones pressed on but I'm designing another ram where the caps thread on with 12mm x 1.25 threads and am thinnking that might help some with sealing them up and keeping them straight.

Lemme know if there's anything else I can do differently as this is kicking my rear trying to get these cylinders built.

Thanks,
Tyler