View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Wannabe

kingbob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Movie Optimus Prime build

Just noticed i missed a few questions, so here we go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Love the maker lights, just above the bumper! I've always wanted to try that, but I could never find LEDs small enough. That looks really awesome!
Try using surface mount LEDs. Cost me about $2.60 for 10. Bit harder to work with because of their size, but great for tight spaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorydays24 View Post
Even after all of the mishaps, O.P. is turning out looking really gooooooood. How are you going to mount the door trim? Great job buddy.
Big John
I'll be glueing it into the groove with CA. Which will be applied VERY sparingly, with a needle applicator. Dont want to wreck the paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhog View Post
Very nice Did the liquid mask not work on the abs body? i was thinking about trying that on my next paint job
Theres a whole story with the liquid mask. Short version, i borrowed it from a friend who had thinned it for spraying with an airbrush but didnt tell me. Whatever the thinner was wrecked the paint it was over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtrucking104customs View Post
what would you charge if I ordered some of the marker lights? also was that the stock grille you did?
Ha, they're not that good! Infact i plan to make a 3rd set as i'm not totally happy with those. All i used was a pinvise and small drill bits, and some small files. No machining, done by hand.
The grill is an aluminium one by Brian in PA from this very forum. Few hours sanding and polishing to get it looking bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcman View Post
man what a great job! I sure wish I could do styrene work like that. love the tubing you installed for the doors and the polished rims really are the bling bling! did you use a dremel to polish them?
Yup, the wheels were polished by dremel, and quite a few polishing bits! Stripped the anodising first, then cleaned in an acid bath, then dremelled with aluminium polish. The outer edge of the rims got a light sanding as well to remove some machining marks from when they were made.
Probably took a couple of hours per wheel. I only polished the outside face of the outer rear wheels. Left the inner wheels with the anodised silver finish.