View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 06:27 AM
Wannabe

kingbob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Movie Optimus Prime build

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICKNICK View Post
I think you did an amazing job on the extended hood, and all your custom body work . I love the front fenders. I'm very impressed with the amount of detail your putting into it. But I do see one big problem that in my opinion is overlooked by a lot of people when the do peterbilts builds. The height ans shape of the sleeper and cab roof. The cab and sleeper roof are supposed to be the same height, and more rounded. The way the king hauler sleeper sits way higher then the cab and is so boxy up top drives me crazy. Please dont take offense to my comments, I just see the lengths of detail your aiming for, I would hate to see you over look this. But like I said, this thing looks great already.
Hey Brick, actually i had noticed it, but its one of those things i decided not to adjust. Mostly its an effort vs result thing.

Looking at the reference pics, the sleeper cab should still be a bit taller than the sleeper, sort of the rounded top of the sleeper starting at the height of the roof. But yes the top isnt as flat as the KH roof.

In scale, the KH roof would need to be dropped about 2-3mm, and the middle of the roof built up with putty to give the more curved look. The 2-3mm drop would be simple, but the puttying and curving would be difficult to keep even, consistent and the same side to side. Plus the actual curve of the top of the sleeper would need tweaking too. Basically rebuilding the sleeper roof, but in a way that would be a real B!tch to keep even and consistent.

In the end i decided its one of those things that i'd probably not be able to do to my own satisfaction, and realistically the difference would be almost unnoticable to anyone not specifically looking for it.

But now you've made me think more about it it'll bug me if i leave it lol

I might not re-do the curve, but i think i will drop the roof a bit.