View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Espeefan's slow motion Peterbilt Heavy Hauler build

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
Looking good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1cat View Post
Nice and neat mounting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMER View Post
Nathan that is some very nice work. Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAIDERS View Post
very nice work cant wait to see it done!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus View Post
I like how you whip thing up. Nice work Nathan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylin n profilin View Post
Just awesome Nate..This thing looks like it will handel anything you put on it....WOW!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucshott View Post
Looking superb! nice machine work. tooking forward in seeing more up dates
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losiassociated View Post
Looks real good keep it coming.

Thanks pugs, tc1cat, Ed, Raiders, Craig, John, Rick, and Losiassociated! I really appreciate the replies. It's encouraging to keep at this build and get it done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
Very nice build. I'm not in to trucks just yet but really enjoyed all of your excellent closeups. This gives me more insight into what I'd be up against if I were to build one of these trucks. Do you have the overall weight yet? Or did I miss that in all the replies?
Monighan, thanks! I just weighed the truck, but used a bathroom scale and myself, so it's not the most accurate of readings. It's all I have! I was curious to know myself also. The rolling chassis, as you see it in the photos, including axles, the transmission, motor, transfer case, axles, rims, and tires, came out to be about 6 pounds. That's not super heavy, but there is still more to add to the model. I'm going to guess and say it will be about 8 or 9 pounds when done. 10 pounds might be a stretch. I hope to add a lot more machined aluminum parts yet. Front and rear bumpers, fuel tank mounts, steps, a weather tight headache rack, and maybe some sort of sliding 5th wheel. I was also thinking of having a hydraulic pump (wet kit) on board, but I will wait to see if I have the room. These day cabs are a challenge. Fitting 5 pounds of goods into a 4 pound sack! Plus I really want to have a full cab interior yet. Not sure if that's possible.

I haven't shown these pictures here yet, but earlier in the build I was mocking up some possible ideas for the truck. Because this is a day cab I thought I might try machining up an aluminum weather tight headache rack for this truck. I built a quick and dirty styrene version, just to see how it might look on the Peterbilt.

I am actually shooting for something like this, of the 1:1 version.

If I hollow out the headache rack, I will be able to stash a couple mini-battery packs inside it, and maybe have a little extra room for other small electronics. The space will be extremely useful for a build like this, being tight on space. If I am lucky, I will also be able to keep the room open, under the hood, for something like....oh a scale diesel engine, radiator, and intercooler.