View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Green Horn

Thorsteenster is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Driven front axle options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsteenster View Post
I'm planning on building my Volvo as 4WD. For the front axle I'll be trying this:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120531
Or buying a German unit already built.

Seeing the pics Fhhhstix posted though, a standard TLT axle looks to bring the front axle width out to match the outer rear tires, so even a slightly narrowed TLT should look pretty good.
After looking at a diff I have, I got to thinking about the link I posted to RCC. This would lock the diff making it a posi rear, or front as the case may be.
So I was looking at the diff parts, and I don't see why the same couldn't be done with the side gears. Cut the axle shaft to length, drill out the splines in a side gear so the axles just slides in and drill/crosspin right behind the back of the gear. When assembled the diff case looks like it should keep the pins in place w/o having to press them in too tightly and you could easily narrow both sides.
I have an extra diff set, I think I may give this a try. I'll have to get a better bit though, or a pilot bit I think they're called, and figure out what size, I should be able to use the TLT hex pin.