Thread: Ferrara Tanker
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2020, 06:08 AM
Green Horn

Wombii is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Seagrave Tanker

I didn't stiffen my suspension as the Tamiya suspension was already stiff enough for me, and the airport trucks are a bit lifted for light offroading. I also ended up with only about half a gallon of water, with the weight centered in front of the rear axles, so the stock setup works ok. If there is room to add a leaf or two, that is probably the easiest route.

What I can tell you though, is don't underestimate the need for chassis crossmembers. I'm using a couple more than the Tamiya instructions suggests, and I still have way too much rotational flex with the added weight. Even if it seemed very stiff while building. Keep in mind my body parts are body + 3 separate modules, so the body adds no stability in my build. Your mileage may vary.

With a truck that heavy and with that much custom bodywork with long overhangs both in the front and rear, you may also want to start thinking about how you're going to lift it. You probably don't want to grab it by the bodywork. I bolted a handle directly to the chassis frames above the center of gravity.

I'm sure the dump truck and heavy machinery gurus have better input on the rear suspension.

Would love to see more info on how you built the drive shaft. I did a very simple extension with copper brake line and brass tube and it's still held together with masking tape.