View Single Post
Old 10-26-2022, 08:18 PM

Blender is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Micro TIG welders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
Welds look very nice.

How about drawing some 4043 wire down smaller in diameter yourself?
Or try to contact one of the wire manufacturers and see if they could run you some smaller. There's a place; Wisconsin Wire Works if my memory is correct. They had some different alloys available when I was looking for the correct Bronze wire I use for mig welding CDA385 architectural bronze.
Drawing down what I have is interesting. Would at least let me see if I have a wire size issue or an alloy issue. I found some small wire from Gesswein in the diameters ddmckee mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmckee54 View Post
Blender:

No doubt the welds look pretty, I doubt that they'd hold up to the typical clamp it in a vise and beat it back and forth with a hammer to see if the weld's stronger than the base metal test. But then again, we aren't trying to build anything that you'd really call structural are we?

The videos that I've seen using filler are using filler wire that's in the 0.005"-0.010" range. I'm guessing that with the bigger 0.030" wire you blow a chunk off of it and probably wind up with the rest welded to the part?

Don
I'm not expecting a strong joint, just something reasonable for model making. Everything else I've ever made was brazed with silver solder, or plain old electrical solder. On aluminum I could sometimes land a single spot of filler from the .030" wire with no crack. Next shot would just ball up the wire. I found some .010" filler wire and maybe that'll help. It's a different alloy, so not apples to apples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmckee54 View Post
I'm not sure, but this guy seems to be a pulsed TIG. (Sorry about the long URL)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/28416504580...Bk9SR-LslOGCYQ
Interesting they use a traditional tig torch. Helpful for service and spare parts availability. Curious to see if their machine functions differently than a fullsize TIG.