View Single Post
Old 03-27-2021, 09:45 PM
Green Horn

Tommy R is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Peterbilt 6x6 Medium Hauler

Well, in an effort to make it easier to integrate the DIYGuy999 light/sound controller, I decided to pick up this Flysky i6X. I also picked up an additional receiver and between the two of them I hope to have a solution to be able to fully control the MFCU to its full extent. In time I hope to be able to migrate to a pistol grip transmitter of some sort.

So I've been having issues with the Lesu transmission. I believe I've mentioned how I've burned through a micro shifting servo and the replacement servo tends to run hot. It hasn't failed, but I think it's only a matter of time. The reason? Well, the springs are pretty strong so when you're in low or high gear there's a lot of stress on the servo to hold that gear. In middle gear there's no strain because the springs aren't at play.

After a lot of thoughts on how to deal with this I decided to tear it apart to move the shift linkage toward the front. Moving it from the rear to the front means I'll have room to use a full size servo to shift. It'll still be under load, but a full size servo should be able to withstand the load much more easily. So here's some pics of the Lesu 3 speed 4WD transmission cracked open.

So here's the shift linkage now at the front.

Now to get this full size servo set up to shift it. Hope this works like it should! I may instead mount a low profile servo with the servo horn up top. I'll experiment with a few options tomorrow.