View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 02:42 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: VW Type 2 Split-window Double cab

Thanks skeeter!

Right now i'm still trying to get the servo in, and really hope an esc shows before the Lebanon meet Sept 14-15 so this can play. Otherwise it has to wait until january to cruise the little streets.

Since there's not a suicide rear door, it's not the earlier Binz coach-built version, so it looks like this custom 'Doka' is somewhere between 1958-61. 
The factory Doppelkabine Pritschewagen (double cab pickup truck) didn't come out until 1958, and the small Bullet front turnsignals went to the bigger Fisheye signals in 1961. 

The taillights are odd, since for those years they should have been small round, and they didn't go oval until 1962 and later. Maybe it's custom, and owner got tired of people trying to ram it at stops from 'not seeing' tiny lights...
That's a better story than shave them and redo it. 

Although a shave and redo could probably just use 3mm or 5mm leds. Probably could make front bullets into 3mm leds, but the headlights would probably need new lenses made since the white blocks a lot. Not sure if it's really worth it, but i like lights. Thoughts?

I dunno about wheels, i'm open to suggestions. I've always really liked these on stock Steelies with babymoons, Fuchs, Porsche 'gas burners', Empi wide 5 spoke, or empi 8 spoke... Something that looks 'right' classic custom stuff. If anybody has a set of pulloff wheels from a Dickie VW, let me know.

Plan to cut and change windows to clear, then probably make some interior. The rear window seems to need the current trim shaved, filled, then recut to be shrunk back toward stock, the bed floor needs better/flatter detail probably installing wood floor. Since i can't easily get up to stock ride height, maybe underbody lights, blue or purple might look good with grey/white.

And then some time much later, i'm gonna finish research on 1960s tilt deck or ramp loading car-hauler trailers. I'm really liking the single-axle racecar haulers that could pull with a sedan, station wagon, or truck. Because i think with a trailer this would be a cool outfit rolling down the strip.

Tin Bandai from 1960s

Last edited by frizzen; 09-18-2018 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Fuchs it