View Single Post
Old 02-16-2016, 10:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Tig welder to purchase.

Hey guys, I had to save enough money to pay off the wife and now have a green light to get a tig welder. (This matching funds thing sucks, but she thinks I'm buying a $100 welder,,,,so hope I don't leave this page open for her to find. . )

I have the capabilities to run 120/240v so that doesn't matter. I'm still figuring out mig on most of my projects but want the precision and ability to weld alum with a tig. I'm staying local with my purchase as a welder for me isn't something I want to skimp on. Miller/Hobart or Lincoln. I have my eye on the lincoln tig 200. Looks like it's good for beginners but has some features/adjustments for when I figure out what I'm doing.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...incolnElectric)

This is the one I'm looking at, price is fine with me. Hobart one is similar priced but not much options for adjusting settings. Verses the next level that will be up in the $2000-3000 range. I'm only wanting this for welding thin steel sheet, aluminum, some 1/8' steel, basically just for the hobby stuff. My question for you guys that weld (and know what your doing/ or know what all those settings do) is would I be making a wise purchase? Or would I be better off with the more expensive welders? I'm not trying to be cheep but realisticly if I need something welded that matters, like machinery or for work, I'm calling a professional. Input appreciated.