View Single Post
Old 12-30-2014, 02:29 AM
Wannabe

kingbob is on a distinguished road
Default Bobs Tamiya 1/16 Tiger 1

So, even though i havent finished my M1070 yet (waiting for parts), its time for another build.

Browsing ebay recently i came across someone selling an unbuilt Tamiya 1/16 Tiger 1 kit, along with an Aber photo etch super detail set. The tank itself can go for $300-400, and the photo etch set is about $250. The guy wanted $250 for both so i snapped that up quick smart!

The tank

The detal set

It isnt the RC version, but the model version, the only difference is the RC system though. All i need is the dual gearbox and speed controller to make it go, and thats easy enough on ebay elsewhere.

For anyone not familiar with Aber, and their photo etch sets, they are absolutely freaking insane. Each brass fret may contain dozens of parts, which are bent/glued/soldered together for ridiculous levels of detail. All of the clasps are workable, as are all the hinges on mudflaps etc.

It only comes with plastic tracks, and there are some details in the kit that are plastic that would benefit from aftermarket parts like the barrel/muzzle break, which are available in aluminium or brass.

So i've ordered metal tracks, ali barrel, brass muzzle break, brass machine gun barrels, and about a dozen other small detail sets to upgrade it. Still comes in cheaper than buying the kit/etch set retail.

I'll basically be giving it the attention to detail that i gave my Optimus Prime build, and do have a specific tank in mind (down to the level of specific month of production during WWII, including barrel mantlet casting numbers), so this may drive me slightly insane! (moreso anyway)