View Single Post
Old 04-23-2021, 04:30 PM

dremu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1:10 M1070 and M1000 HETS

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
Wow! That's an awesome looking beast!

Sounds like you may need to look at some better rock crawler driveshafts?

It the trailer tire foams can hold the weight, why not just glue the tire beads?
Sounds like a guy that's good at programming could really get fancy and make the trailer able to switch between stuff like the scaled normal steering, less turn-assist, crab... or even just a Gain setting to adjust how much steering help it gives, maybe off a pot channel on tx?

That thing looks stunning! Just watch out those motor-pool guys don't suddenly decide it needs unit markings or camo.
As always, thanks for the good words.

Wrt driveshafts, part is my fault for them being a bit short, and part was fixed by loc-tite on the set screws.

I think gluing the tire beads would keep 'em on the rims, but they'd still be squashed, like an under-inflated tire in the real world, if that makes sense. This is why I think a wider foam would do the trick. Maybe that AND gluing them. Or even just narrow rims. Regardless, it's such a pain with so many. I don't know how Bo Wallen does his magic with eleventy-bazillion tires!

You actually hit the nail on the head with the steering programming. I have it set so one of the TX switches chooses between two different scalings. Another switch selects whether the trailer steers with the right stick, same as the truck, or the left stick, independent of the truck. That definitely requires a neck strap and careful wrist motion. The "tail wags the dog" phenomenon you get in 1:1's, like going downhill without trailer brakes, is absolutely the case here. If I get it wrong, the trailer will push the truck all over the place, especially on the hardwood floors in the house. Did I mention I was banished outside?

Actually, using a pot for scaling would be really clever, but I think all the aux channels are used on the TX it its fairly modified state. I do have a mod for them to add more switches/pots, hmm. You have me thinking again. However, I gotta admit I'm kinda ambivalent about actually *using* this setup. It's just so bloody unwieldy; the tank and trailer have been banished to the garage, as they don't fit on any of the shelves inside. Another reason I like the fork and the Rover and even the Cross M809, as they're smaller and don't require back-breaking labor to set up =))

Last edited by dremu; 04-24-2021 at 11:11 AM.