View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Espeefan's slow motion Peterbilt Heavy Hauler build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue
Do I really need to say it again?

Thanks for the inside look at this. Should be a bombproof design.

P.S. Your photo skills are just as impressive as your building skills. It really makes it a pleasure to watch your updates.
Rick, my friend, thanks. I appreciate that. I do enjoy taking pictures as well, but not as much as building trucks. I can't wait to share some really good pictures of the truck, when completed, sitting in a more natural setting. Hopefully it will make some people do a double take. I'm not a professional photographer, but I am learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbuilder
Nathan , the tamiya axle does not have the center drop like the wedico thats why I did what I did on my Paystar . It came out alright just need better links .
Steve, it's been a long time since I had a Tamiya. I thought they also used a drop axle. My mistake. If you are looking for some better links, I'd suggest you buy some Traxxas rod ends, with balls inserted, and then simply use some thread rod, with a sleeve to make the link itself. Or just cut some small round bar to the correct length on your lathe, drill and tap the end for 3mm set screws, and then thread the Traxxas rod ends onto that. I used to make all kinds of 4 links for my RC monster trucks that way. They are beefy, look good, are very functional, and aren't all that expensive. I think your lift axle turned out well. Now that you have a mill though, and those skills of your's, I bet you could machine your own drop axle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanker yanker
i just cant beleive the skill in this hobby. its a fun build to watch, plus great pictures and explanations.
You and me both! A lot of highly talented guys on this forum and I can just sit for hours drooling over the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMER
Nathan wonderful job the way you sandwich that together. I had to take a second look look because I was looking for a plate but after taking a second look I see were you have one side of the axle milled so it's is the top for the other side good thinking. Ed
Ed, thank you. Yes, I managed to make the lift axle look almost like a solid piece. If it wasn't for the seams, which can barely be seen, it would look like a factory axle. Once painted, it probably will look factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1cat
Just found this build. WOW!! Your attention to detail is amazing! What do you have planned for it next?
Thanks! I have a lot of ideas just bouncing around inside my head! I don't always make the fastest progress, but updates will come little by little. I am thinking about ditching the Wedico transmission for a planetary gearmotor, and an RC4WD transfer case. My friend Rick, aka Rogue, turned me onto these gearmotors. I think I will give it a shot. I also want to make this truck as scale and realistic as possible, so there is a lot of detail to add, and a lot of custom machined parts I would like to do up! I guess I'm pushing myself to reach the bar that has already been set high by so many other guys on this forum!