View Single Post
Old 10-28-2022, 02:15 PM
Green Horn

ddmckee54 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Micro TIG welders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
That machine has some real potential. The power for big stuff and precision for model making.
That's what I was thinking. It's supposed to get here next week, I just MIGHT have to see where I can round up some test coupons and try it.

I know when he welded the 0.4mm and 0.6mm test welds on SS, he didn't get full penetration. But then again, he wasn't trying to get full penetration. He was just making a weld that looked pretty, top and bottom. He wasn't trying to get any type of a structural weld. By playing with the length of the weld pulse I'm sure you'll get the penetration.

With the welding we want to do, mostly on mild steel, I think we need a little more penetration. The back side of the weld usually doesn't concern us that much, if at all. We do want the front side to look like a weld. I don't know how much penetration the jewelry welders get, never seen anybody cut one up to find out. My gut feeling says we need more penetration, we DO after want to play in the dirt after all. Anybody with an Orion or its' equivalent, want to do some test welds and cut 'em up so we can see?

Back when I was learning to gas weld sheet metal in... I ain't gonna tell ya. My instructor would clamp our test weld lengthwise in the vise and bend the weld. If the weld made it through 180 degrees, you passed. If not - go back, practice some more, and try again.

Don

Last edited by ddmckee54; 10-28-2022 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Keeps killing the degree symbol.