Thread: RC Benchy
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2022, 03:17 PM
Green Horn

ddmckee54 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: RC Benchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry56 View Post
That's the only draw back to 3D printing...
That and the print time. The 2 main sections of the hull take about 28-30 hours to print - EACH. I had to print the forward section 3 times before I got a good part.

I THOUGHT I had a brilliant idea to seal up the hull and reinforce it a little at the same time. I was going to use a thinned version of my glue/filler goo and tissue paper, similar to the dope/silkspan covering on the stick and tissue model airplanes that you may, or may not, have built as a kid. Turned out my brilliant idea was more of a brain fart. The Weldon #4 solvents evaporate so quickly that the tissue didn't have much stick-to-it-iveness, and peeled right off.

After that I decided that I needed to go Old-school to seal up the hull - I varnished it with interior/exterior varnish. I spent the rest of the weekend sanding, and varnishing, and sanding, and varnishing, and sanding, and varnishing. The hull now has a mostly blemish-free semi-gloss finish. There's still a couple of minor divots that may or may not get filled when I get to the priming and painting stage. This IS a tugboat after all, it NEEDS a couple of scars.

Don