View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 11:38 PM
Green Horn

WhiteWolf McBride is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cutting thin stainless strips

Kingbob,

Try a doillar store's frozen food scissors. They aren'tr serrated, but they do cut decently. I've been using thre pair I bought for ages, cutting lead sheet, tin-foil trays, and even that perforated stuff in microwave windows.

Another option is to use a ruler, and the backside of an X-acto or Olfa knife. Score like styrene, but keep doing it. It'll take a while, but it can be done. The strips may need some filing after cutting though... I've found dollar store nail files make great halfway-decent files for the more delicate jobs.

Anothetr option, if the sheet can stand up to it, is a Dremel router table, with a carbide wheel in the machine. Calibrate to 8mm, and run the piece thru the table like a lateral cutter. BUT!! Run it thru ~against~ the rotation of the wheel or it'll snatch the material out of your hands, and possibly cut you, make a mess of the sheet, shatter the wheel (unless ya use a diamond or fibre wheel) and generally teach you a cruel lesson.

How many strips you need, and what for? Making metal banding for cargo-strapping for pallets? You might wanna use large tin-foil cooking trays instead - easier to cut, and cheaper.

WhiteWolf
Mr. 'Outside the Box'