View Single Post
Old 08-29-2021, 06:41 PM

dremu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1:10ish Alvis Stalwart 6x6 high mobility carrier, wrongest of the wrong

The local plastic shop was limiting their days and hours due to COVID, so I 3D printed a bunch of parts for which I'd usually just go buy styrene sheet. In retrospect this was not ideal, but ..shrug.. At the least I could design for the odd shapes and cutouts, but I shoulda made the panels thicker. Also had to split into pieces as even my big printer couldn't do them in one go, and that made the thing even more challenging to glue together.

Had leftover neon colors from other projects, and if it's gonna get painted anyway, doesn't matter, right? Still hurts the eyes though.

That's the v-hull upside down with the (rear) water drive sections to the left, and huh, that looks like a teaser of a WWII half-track in the back.

This is where you see how ridiculously skinny the hull is, and the drivetrain is supposed to fit in there? Ugh.

His Royal Highness Duke Leto Atreides II watches carefully to monitor progress.

This is the front left wheel station, with the torsion spring fairly visible.

I found that scraps of very thin styrene sheet worked nicely to bond around the weird angles of the cab.

At some point I discovered the intermediate steering arm needed not only to rotate left and right, but also up and down as the steering axles moved. Racked my brain for a while to find a ball joint to go into the middle of the arm, and eventually cut up a shock ball.

Last edited by dremu; 08-30-2021 at 12:53 PM.