Thread: Charging jack
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2020, 09:32 PM
Green Horn

Wombii is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Charging jack

What I don't like about shopping for switches is the lack of info. Some specify details, but most don't. How are we supposed to know if it's rated for 6A spikes or 6A continous? Is it heat limited? Or is 6A the max load while switching because of arcing and it can take more while not switching? Or is the rating just a precaution to make it survive for the x*1000 switch cycles the manufacturer claims?

If it were to be 6A continous and 15A spikes you could just see how long your battery lasts and guesstimate. 3000mAh battery lasts for an hour = 3A average load. But without it specifically saying that, I'm not personally comfortable putting in a master switch with a rating of much less than the ESC rating (or estimates for servo amps, my rule of thumb with safety margin is a couple of hundred milliamps for a loaded mini servo, 1-2A for a struggling standard servo)

Please keep in mind I'm not a switch expert. Many fast toy-grade r/cs use a switch that size, so I'd assume a low geared lighter vehicle like a bruder conversion would be absolutely fine with it.

I would love to hear from someone more experienced with these types of switches for r/c purposes. I went completely overkill with my switches but would love to not have to do that next time.