View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road
Default Re: D8R +463 in 1/5,6

Bad weather on holiday, what to do?

Started with interior last week, here´s first part of inner roof with place for radio. A lot of interior will be built in styrene, I use 2 or 3mm sheet´s.

Something new and never made by me was the way the seat was done. Started with 4 layers of 3mm balsa wood, glued cross wise for strenght. Last layer was cut a little to shape of seat.
Took some pics during this build so here´s my way, step by step, making a seat.

Next step was to cut down the balsa (with a dremel) to right shape, including the the contour of seat.

To get a softer face of seat 2 layers of foam was applied with 3M spray glue (used "final mount" no 2nd chance here). Used a steel wire inserted into seat as holder when glue was applied.

Found some nice seatcover that is a little elastic to, has a surface with a rib pattern. Have never made any recarpeting on chairs before, guess that needs some practice too! the front layer of textile was applied with glue on chair.

Completed seat, the rear cover (cut to size first) had glue applied to textile. Front corner was not easy, the result was not satisfying but has to be that way for now.

Rear and under side with base (1mm steel) sliding into back rest (can be positioned) of seat.

Don´t know why but it looks like Jim doesn´t like the seat, still looks angry, maybe he doesn´t have any smiling face maybee he is missing that can of cola?

Dan