View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Trailer Tips and Tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhhstix View Post
I use 10/32 in all of my builds but the dump trailer and it is 3/8 fine thread. The dump trailer was my first screw drive and I did not think about the fact that the sliding block would carry the load and the all thread just had to move it. All of my screw drives push from back to front. For gear reduction my traler is 32:1 with a 65 turn 540 lathe motor the two dump trucks are 50:1 carson gearmotors and the dump pup trailer is a black & decker $10 screw driver from Wall-Mart.

Travis
travis , I have to correct you on 1 small thing . the thread does carry the load and the greatest of the load in the down position . your force is transfered from the motor through the thread to the carrier to the push rod to the box . now for our purpose a 10/32 treaded rod is plenty but you start increasing power and weight your gona brake something . most likely the thin threaded rod could start to bend or the body will push out at the rear hinge or in the front where your rod is connected . now like I said for what we do all the screw drive I've seen are sufficient , even over kill

IHSteve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.