View Single Post
Old 04-14-2021, 01:23 PM

dremu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1:10 10x10 "HEMTT" (actually M1074 PLS w/ M1076 trailer)

While greebling detail is not my strong point, I try where possible. One example is the wheels. RC4WD had a good military-tread tire that matched my scale, but I wasn't able to find anything remotely close to accurate for wheels. And even those that were available were crazy money. I got busy with the CAD then, and printed these up:

They're a beadlock, and a fair visual match to the 1:1.

Mind you, they're five pieces...

...and take half a day each to print, so doing 11 of them took a while. Not too bad, as once the design is set, you just hit "print another copy" ... but getting the dimensions Just Right to fit the tire lip took a lot of trial and error.

That's a slice view, and ouch, my head still hurts thinking about it.

The inside has a drive hex to match the axles, and then smaller hexes to press-fit M3 nuts into for the beadlock. Assembling beadlocks is hard enough, gotta use two long bolts to draw the halves together, then use shorter ones to assemble, without having to continually drop nuts off the back.

Jumping the gun a bit, found that the foams inside the tires were waaay too soft when the truck was laden. Being frugal and enterprising, I found that pool noodles can be had in about the right diameter, are cheap, and are easily cut with a foam wire cutter.

Again jumping ahead, those are actually for the trailer, but you get the idea. I've since switched to exclusively using pool noodles. With a bit of searching you can find them in different diameters, even solid-core ones sold for yoga or exercise, so you can use them on any size wheel.

Here's before

and then after, same force applied (using my carefully calibrated fingers.)