View Single Post
Old 04-14-2021, 02:54 PM

dremu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1:10 10x10 "HEMTT" (actually M1074 PLS w/ M1076 trailer)

Some other details: The hook for the flatrack is hinged on the 1:1 to reduce height for airlift:

Again, paperclips serve me well. The hinge proper is a bent paperclip, and the lynch pin that latches it is a piece of brass tubing from the LHS, with some Dremel work to hook yet another paperclip.

The nose of the body kit was set up for the "OSHKOSH" logo, but didn't actually have it. Odd of Chinesium to respect trademark ..shrug.. Anyway, grabbed one from the company's website, resized it, and printed one up to blue onto the front.

Got some metal shackles, but they didn't match the hangers that came with the body kit

Coulda Dremeled them down, but to get all the cuts I wanted, was easier to print

Et voila

On the 1:1, the hole to the right (left side of vehicle) is for the driver to see down. I re-purposed it for the power switch for the ESC, as it's exactly the right size and well-hidden, yet easy for a finger to reach.

Also did some other little stuff, changing LED sizes and added one set to the sides to make it closer to the 1:1. New buckets for the front, and drilled the sides and added a second set (grey ones)

It's tight in there to fit 8mm and 5mm LED's across the front and then two 5mm's each side, but the good silicone wire bends well. The only problem is that the programmable LED's have four wires, so proper labeling (colored heatshrink) is a must.

That puts the truck at about here, all the bits completed but not painted.

The antennas are a combo of fabricated and printed. The first two are just Evergreen round rod with printed middle and base:

And then the thicker ("RCIED") one is printed in like ten pieces, with a piece of 1/8" rod down the middle to keep them all concentric.

There's another view. In addition to the flatrack, I used the body kit's bed to make a side-drop rack. However, the bed wasn't big enough, so that's actually the bed kit's front and back, with new sheets for the bottom and sides, and then more Evergreen rectangular stock to match the side detail. Hinges are from the local plastic place; they're a bit clunk but again, I like the thing to *work*.

All of that took many weeks, on and off, to design and build ... and then was like one afternoon to tear it down for paint. Bit depressing.

Coupla days in the paint booth, and we have primer and then OD green (hard to tell in the dark)

Reassembled with some printed greebling and hand painted detail, like the fire exinguishers and fuel tank caps, and as teased above, this is the finished truck:

Next up is the trailer, which fits the same racks

Last edited by dremu; 04-15-2021 at 08:57 PM.