Thread: New Project
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2020, 08:11 AM
Craftsman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Project

OK....first all my builds are budget builds, I want folks that see these to know you can get into this hobby without spending $10,000.000...

I also try to build in a way that doesn't use 3D printers or milling machines or lathes because I don't have those and most people don't (well except for the 3D printer at under $200 I even I may have to break down and get one)... I try to use basic tools that anybody might have or can get without breaking the bank.

Some builders here are really artists and I am in awe of their ability to build some incredible machines and love watching them progress...but getting started and drawing people to the hobby you have to start with the basics....so they see how to start and where they can go...so here we go

Like I stated this will have WPL metal running gear, over the last year I've bought a couple WPL 4x4 and 6x6 trucks and use the parts from them to fill in for things I don't yet have the skill or equipment to make, for instance I used the 4x4 frame rails to keep my hole spacing for my front and rear axle mounts and mounting hole spacing for the transfer case. I bought the metal upgrade pieces since we already know the plastic will never hold up in a truck this size.

As you can see for now stock WPL wheels and tires I haven't found a cost effective alternative yet.

I experimented with a little resin casting using an Alumalite kite from HobbyLobby, I wanted to make the frame spacers so I didn't have to buy them ...they came out ok but just wouldn't hold a screw, they just stripped out so....

Next I tried cutting up a nylon cutting board, this had mixed results I think my pilot hole was to small because they just split out on me
Here's a front view of the resin cast pieces....meh...

So I decided since the frame rails were pretty solid I just need 3 points of support for this truck, front middle and rear, I cut and tapped a piece of aluminum bar stock from HomeDepot for the front and used some channel for a servo mount then used the WPL transfer case in the center and the WPL plastic piece for the rear.

Doing a test fit of the cab came out pretty good... You can buy these on Banggood for about $7 it's called a head unit..

The frame channel inside dimensions are smaller than the WPL so you have to file down the edges of the WPL pieces so they fit inside the frame rails..
Over all so far I'm happy with the way this one is going, I spent quite a bit of time trying different materials but I figured it was the best way to know what works and what doesn't either that or post dozens of questions asking will this work or that work....so I figure I'd try it first then if I get stuck I ask of suggestions....