Thread: New Project
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 07:39 AM
Craftsman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Project

I couldn't find a fifth wheel off the shelf that was the right scale so I went with a Tamiya unit. It's a little big but I just went with what I could get.

I just got the fifth wheel but didn''t realize it didn't come with the mounting bracket so I just made one out of a 3/8 "L" from McMasters Carr..

Sorry for the blurry picture my camera didn't want to focus up this close
Anyway, I just drilled the mounting holes in the brackets and top of the frame and tapped the frame cause there just wasn't enough room for me to get a nut on the back.

I wasn't thinking when I drilled the side mounting holes for the fifth wheel itself I should have tapped those as well....so I just super glued a nut to the inside cause there was no way I could get in there to hold the nut in place

Again after taking careful measurements and mounting the fifth wheel right over the rear axle the first time I tried the trailer on it ..... the trailer would bind against the back of the cab when you jackknifed it, the frame was about 1/2 to 3/4 inch too short.....sooooo So I had to move the fifth wheel back a 1/2 inch because I wasn't going to build a new frame at this point.
Yeah I screwed up a few things on this one too but I hope to get better at it.
To anybody starting out the aluminum it's super expensive it's just your time since all the components can move if you need to do the frame rails over I will probably do that in the future but for now I'll just press on...