View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Espeefan's Blizzard SR project

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker n View Post
your styrene work looks sweet nathan also do i see a leimbach pump in one of the pics what you doing with that
Trucker n, thank you for the comment! I'm afraid what you are seeing in the pictures is not a Leimbach pump, but rather part of a panetary gear head motor. I wish I had a Lemibach pump just sitting around on the workbench!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
Very nice clean looking lines on your widows.
Thanks Moninghan. It took a bit of work to get them that way. More then I thought, but thankfully, I only have one more window to do. The rear one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
The scratch cab is definitely a work of art and looks better than the original! Can I ask what your cutting your windows out with? I'm trying to build my tools back up. Looking forward to seeing how you finish it off.
Thanks Truckmaker! I'm glad you like it. You sure can ask. I'm always willing to answer. For the windows, I've actually been filing them to shape. I make some rough cuts with a regular hobby knife, but I leave a little room to finish the openings with a file. That way I can get a much cleaner edge. Hobby knives cut clean edges in thinner styrene, but it seems once you get past .020" thick styrene, your cuts get a little less crisp. Especially if you use the scribe and cut half-way, then snap method. My doors and cab skins are all .040" thick styrene. The window gaskets layered over the top are .020" thick. I have very little finish work to do on the gaskets because they are thinner. Mostly just hitting the corners up with a small needle file, to get the radius.

All I use for working with styrene is the folliwing. A plate of glass - as my cutting board, a good standard hobby knife, with lots of #11 blades, an X-Acto precision razor saw, and some # 17 chisel blades, which fit the razor saw. The chisel blades work great when you need to clean up the inside of square corners. The saw is good for cutting styrene tube. I also use a miniature miter box that fits the razor saw. Beyond a simple set of files, which includes needle files, a nice straight edge, and glue, I haven't used anything else.